his smile

genre: fluff
era: post civil war bucky

bucky never smiled. you didn't blame him, how could someone ever smile again after what he's been through? he was new around the tower and seemed to be the only one immune to the hilarious chaos. tony would make a joke, sending you busting out laughing your ass off on the floor, but not bucky. he wouldn't crack.

and sure, when steve was around, you could always tell he was more comfortable and happier, maybe there was even the faintest ghost of a smirk...but never a smile.

you were sitting on the couch drinking a beer and watching your favorite sitcom. the other avengers were out on a mission, so it was just you and bucky. the latter walked into the living room and nosily sat down to see what had you cackling not five minutes ago.

"what's this?" he asked in his usual gruff voice.

you beamed, "only like the best tv show ever!"

bucky sat and watched and even as the people on the screen came up with amazing punchlines, he didn't break.

it wasn't until you laughed so hard that you were crying that you looked over to see bucky grinning.

and god, you realized why he never smiled. something that beautiful isn't meant to be seen by the human eye.

you admired his joy for a moment, maybe a moment too long.

"what is it?" he asked confused with a lopsided grin.

you shook your head and turned back to the tv, "it's nothing."