saltine crackers

genre: fluff
era: civil war era maybe (it doesn't really matter)
tw: mentions of vomiting, food poisoning.

you had been ill since the moment you woke up, your stomach didn't feel well at all and you couldn't seem to keep any food down.

it was shocking because it had come on all of a sudden. you, sam, steve, bucky, and nat had gotten together for "friends night" the evening prior.

it was something steve had made up and enforced.

you tried not to make it obvious that you were feeling under the weather, but it was almost impossible. especially given the continuous vomiting. 

bucky found you laying on the couch half asleep with your guard down. he rested the back of his hand against your clammy forehead, "oh, doll," he whispered.

you woke up at the sound of his voice, "i was just resting my eyes."

"mhm," he hummed, not believing that lie for even a second. "how did this happen? were you around anyone who was sick?"

you shook your head as you thought back to last night, "no, just you guys."

bucky frowned, "did you eat something bad?" 

"just everything you ate and some of the roast sam brought," you responded.

bucky felt his blood boil, "you ate sam's pot roast? no wonder you got sick! he can't cook worth a damn!" 

if you hadn't been so sick, you would've died laughing. 

bucky was furious. his best girl wasn't feeling well because of that dimwitted bird man. he would hunt him down...but first, he needed to take care of you.

he kissed you on top of your head, "i'll be back." bucky went to the store and got a list of things he would need. he bought gatorade, saltine crackers, some soup, and a stuffed bear with "get well soon" written on it.

when he got back, you were already asleep again. good, he thought. you needed the rest if you were going to start feeling better.

bucky put the food away for later and walked over to tuck the stuffed bear into your arms. you hummed softly before resettling, but he was careful not to wake you. he pulled a blanket over your sleeping form and let you nap.

much later, once you were awake, bucky brought you some soup. you grumbled and complained, not feeling up to it.

"doll, you gotta eat. you're losing a lot of nutrients," he said with a worried expression. 

you shook your head, "what difference does it make if i can't keep it down?"

bucky just sighed, "please."

you took one look into those soft blue pleading eyes of his and cracked, "fine, but i'm feeding myself. i'm not completely incapable."

the wrinkles around his eyes creased as he laughed, "of course."

you ate as much of the soup as you could and even had a few crackers. bucky brought over the gatorade and set it on the table next to you. he sat down on the couch and pulled you into his arms, "what do you want to watch?"

you smiled, truly appreciating everything he'd done for you. bucky was the most attentive and caring person in your life, you couldn't imagine a world without him. 

"whatever you want to."

he rolled his eyes, "nice try. the sick one always gets to choose."

"that's not a rule, you just made that up," you scoffed.

bucky smiled and shook his head, "fine, you got me. we'll watch toy story."

you pursed your lips, "again?"

he threw his head back in exasperation, "you said i could choose!"

"i know, but...the sick one always gets to choose."