Introducing Mr Kreacher

Mr Cargador insisted on Flooing over because he had my finished dress robes. He also liked the ideas for Kreacher's uniform but wanted to discuss it further. We met in the Drawing Room, which was still unfinished because I preferred to use the Snug next to it. The Drawing Room had been stripped bare and the floor varnished back to a bright golden oak and the walls were currently cream. I was yet to decide on the rest of it. The old Grand Piano remained, not that I could play it, it just seemed rather appropriate for the room and I wondered if Teddy might want to learn one day. The empty space turned out to be useful because Mr Cargador could lay out his rolls of black and white cloth and set his scissors to work.

'Somewhat colonial, Mr Potter, perhaps influenced by your travels,' Mr Cargador said regarding the ideas about the uniform, 'but I can see how the House-Elves would like a sarong. I've had several enquiries about appropriate wear but there are always some quandaries about what to do the bottom half... their feet, you see.'

I imagined pulling on trousers would be problematic.

'Some opt for tunics...' he said.

'Yeah, I suggested it. The sarong was Mr Kreacher's suggestion.'

'I understand. I imagine many might like to take your lead in this.'

'Mr Kreacher's lead,' I insisted.

'Yes, of course. I've brought some material samples I thought might be appropriate. The cream fine-woven wool for the sarong. Simple black wool cloth is most appropriate for a service waistcoat, no detail or colour, though you may add a small crest over the heart in gold thread, if you like and I can add a line detail to match on the sarong.'

'It sounds very impressive.'

'Your House-Elves will be representing the House of Potter, it is only appropriate that they are dressed accordingly.'

I smiled at Mr Cargador's ways. I imagined there was a book somewhere on all this etiquette of clothing and attire and he'd memorised the whole bloody thing, a bit like Hermione and her bloody A History of Hogwarts.

'Perhaps Mr Kreacher wouldn't mind joining us...'

Once more the tape measure came out and Kreacher submitted to the indignity of being measured, though Mr Cargador was the epitome of politeness and very gentle with the old House-Elf.

'Now, Mr Kreacher,' Mr Cargador said, once his scissors had cut several lengths of the cream material and the edges had been magically finished. 'The sarong should be wrapped across your waist, left side first, then right, then you must fold it back like so to make a pleat and then roll the top over three times to secure it. Would you like to practice?'

Kreacher looker at Mr Cargador witheringly but submitted.

I said firmly, 'you need to get it right, Mr Kreacher. You're representing the House of Potter now. And I expect your staff to be exacting in their personal presentation too.'

'Of course, Master Harry,' and he seemed happier that I had virtually demanded his compliance.

'I suggest, Mr Potter, two waistcoats and three sarongs each, in case they get dirty. Of course, one set can be saved for special occasions in the house or if you are hosting an important event. Have you had any thoughts about a crest?'

'The Potter's don't have a crest or coat of arms,' I admitted, afraid Mr Cargador might be disapproving. 'I must admit that the idea of a Phoenix amuses me.'

I'd seen a picture that I liked in a book on magical creatures so I summoned the book and showed Mr Cargador.

'Leave it with me, Mr Potter,' he said with a nod. 'Shall we try the waistcoat?'