An Invitation to a Party

Over dinner, Draco, Luna, Neville, and I talked about a surprising number of things and I was pleased to find that Draco and Neville got on really well. It was a testament to how much we'd matured and how things had changed over the past three years. It was clear there were still hang ups from the war but I knew all about them. We were, as Neville had said, all coping in our own ways. And it was clear from the way that Neville had initially reacted to Draco's appearance, that he was struggling, though he kept it hidden. It was also apparent that Draco carefully hid his emotions behind carefully constructed barriers, his grey eyes often seemed unfathomable beyond the few glimpses that I'd caught when he briefly let his guard down.

'You really need to get a logo and have printed headed paper. Then it becomes official. And register your company name,' said Luna, returning to the subject of our Quidditch Championship.

'Hannah's really good at art,' said Neville. 'She's working for a graphic designer and printers off Carkitt Market.'

'Who's Hannah?' I asked, watching Neville's cheeks flame.

'Hannah Abbott,' he said. 'She was in Hufflepuff, our year.'

'Oh,' I said. 'So, do you think she could come up with something. We can't afford to pay her much yet but we could probably get you both into one of the matches.'

'Really?' he said. 'She'd really like that. She played for Hufflepuff, you know.'

'Oh... one of the Chasers?'

'That's right.'

I remembered who she was now.

'Who?' asked Draco.

'Pretty,' I said, 'mousey brown hair, long, normally worn in two fancy plait things when she was playing. Brilliant turning speed but not so fast on the straight. Had a really accurate left-hand throw, particularly good on the left-hand hoop. That was the one to guard when she was playing.'

'Oh, I know. Are you dating?' Draco asked Neville.

Neville blushed again. 'We just started going out officially. I've liked her for ages but only plucked up the courage recently. Some hero I am, it's taken me nearly three years,' he smiled depreciatively.

'I don't think anyone is particularly good at being "a hero" afterwards,' said Luna. 'Not unless you're someone like Gilderoy Lockhart. But then, he wasn't actually a hero in the first place, was he, Harry? I think it's funny how the papers keep calling us heroes. I certainly don't feel like one. Really, all I want is to see my friends and go back to my own bed. That doesn't feel very heroic.' She smiled at Draco. 'Please don't misunderstand me, I love staying with you and Uncle Lucy and Aunty Cissa, but really, I just want to go home. Somewhere that feels like home is important at times like this. You can see it with Harry and here, or Neville and the school. And, Draco, I can see you're terribly unhappy in the new London home, but I'm sure things will work out for you soon. You just have to be patient and follow your heart. You'll find your place very soon.'

I think we all just accepted what Luna said as the truth. It felt right. Grimmauld Place was home to me now. I just needed to finish making it feel like that. Tomorrow, I decided, I would tackle the dining room.

'I think I probably need some advice with the formal sitting room,' I said. 'I'd be interested in your opinions.'

'Oh. Let's go and look at it now,' said Luna. 'I'm sure we could come up with something between us.'

'Harry,' called Walburga as we passed. 'Harry, come here at once.'

I sighed and rolled my eyes. 'I'll catch you up,' I muttered.