A Proclivity for Portraits

A/N Without spoilers: I know that the next two chapters will divide opinions and some of you may disagree vehemently with the 'conversation' at the end of this chapter and into the next one. There is a forgiveness arc but Harry has to work through it. The inspiration for this part came from a Reddit post I read recently and couldn't help thinking 'eek, they're right' about it. There are an awful lot of people who make some very valid points that I've used here. Also, please bear in mind that the information is book based; the films miss out some of the worst behaviour and, of course, the superb actor has a huge influence on the how we read the character.

***

'Harry,' Minerva McGonagall said, a smile playing on her thin lips as she took in my shorts and t-shirt and my bare feet and general relaxed demeanour as I sat in my garden, soaking up the sunshine.

'Minerva...' I put down my book and swiped my feet off the chair in front of me where I'd been sitting with my legs up.

'Advanced Defence Against the Dark Arts...' she read. 'Revising already?' she said as she propped a large flat bag against a chair and sat down beside me.

I shrugged.

'I hope you don't mind me calling in unannounced,' she continued.

'No, of course not. To be honest, I like it and I'm pleased you felt you could,' I said as Mr Kreacher brought out a tray with tea things and a fresh cake that Mellie had made. It appeared Mellie liked baking and I wasn't going to complain about that.

'Delightful,' Minerva said with a little bow of thanks to Mr Kreacher. She took a moment steeping her tea and I cut some cake for us both. 'The garden is looking beautiful; a very successful day yesterday and a most enjoyable evening.'

'Yes,' I said. 'I still feel a bit overwhelmed that everyone came together and did that for me.'

Minerva and I watched Dusty pottering around with a small wheelbarrow, neatening areas of the garden that he felt needed more attention.

'It's a surprisingly long garden,' Minerva said, looking down at the way the path meandered between the beds and neat lawns that had replaced the brambles and nettles.

'Unnaturally so,' I said, evenly. I wasn't sure that I could be surprised by these things anymore.

'So, are you considering my proposal from yesterday?' she indicated to my reading. 'I was afraid you might feel pressured by the situation because everyone was rather focused on you. And with the amount of wine that was being consumed, I supposed you might not take it seriously anyway.'

'Actually, I think I would like to sit my Defence N.E.W.T., though I haven't written an essay for an awful long time. My written work might be dreadful. It wasn't great at the best of times.'

'It might not be as bad as you imagine. You have to remember the basics: that your introduction establishes the focus and parameters of the discussion that follows, potentially defining key terms and referencing core material or theory. Then each paragraph elaborates on those issues and develops your argument. Each paragraph should have a point and provide evidence and analysis that relates back to your essay question. You are presenting your opinion on the subject matter but make sure you stay focused and use smart evidence. Just as you did yesterday when discussing the probability that poltergeists are Human Spiritous Apparitions but trapped and need freeing. Then you conclude your argument in light of the evidence you've presented. Your plan is as important as the essay itself – it will keep you focused.'

'Oh,' I said. 'You make it sound so easy. I wish I'd been taught about essay structures before.' I sighed heavily. 'I suppose I probably ought to consider having more than just one N.E.W.T. to my name.'