An Intervention of Portraits

I wondered, as July drew to a close and the Gala Dinner approached fast, and with still no word from him, whether Draco would still be coming to Grimmauld Place for my birthday pre-drinks party. The invites had gone out before we went to Dublin and his parents had accepted gratefully so I assumed he would be accompanying with them. The invites had gone out to the same people who had been at Grimmauld Place to help with the garden. Additionally, there were a further fifteen, mostly staff from Hogwarts and other members of the Order of the Phoenix, including Oliver Woods, the Minister and his wife, Lee Jordan and Angelina Johnson, Dean and Seamus, and Charlie Weasley who was coming back from Romania. All had accepted the invitation.

I felt surprisingly calm about it, despite the resounding silence from Draco's quarter. And at least my dance lessons with Neville had come on substantially and I knew I'd be able to make my way through a number of formal dances so long as I didn't drink too much and forget what I was doing.

I finished the bedrooms and upstairs' bathrooms and then spent the build-up planning with Mr Kreacher and Nettie and Mellie. We arranged drinks and canapés for forty people and I ordered several boxes of champagne from Mr Kreacher's wine merchant on St James's Street. I found out about wine tastings too but didn't book anything. I knew, in my heart, it was because I wanted Draco with me, to help me and advise me. I trusted his taste and that he'd have some knowledge in these matters. I briefly wondered if I could approach Lucius but dithered and let the idea slip away.

Still, I Owled Ludo Bagman and sent a separate message to Draco to let him know that Ludo would meet him and to contact him direct about the best time. I didn't mention anything of our parting in Dublin nor did I mention I'd seen him in the park area in Grimmauld Place. I just kept the note business-like and short.

In addition to dealing with the party, finishing the remaining bedrooms and bathroom, and my mornings with Severus, I also met with Robert Ogden Jr.

He was, without a doubt, the most enthusiastic super-fan of Quidditch I'd ever met. Worse than bloody Ron, Blaise, and Dean combined. The meeting with Robert Ogden lasted all afternoon and I was grateful I had arranged to meet with Ron and Hermione that evening because I had a dreadful feeling he might have continued into the night. Still, it was worth it and I secured sponsorship from Ogdens for the Quidditch Home Nations Championship. As soon as I got home, I Flooed Hannah to let her know and asked if she could add the name to our logo. I hoped Draco would approve as I Owled another update, despite not getting a reply about Ludo Bagman.

Poor Mouse was certainly getting his exercise.

I just wished Draco would contact me and let me know what was going on. All I knew was he'd arrived back safely from Dublin but Luna couldn't tell me anymore. She just said he'd been very busy travelling to various places in the country and talking to stadiums. That's what she thought he was doing anyway.

'Are you okay?' Hermione asked as soon as she saw me. Then she pulled me into a gigantic hug and whispered, 'oh, Harry...' into my neck.

I held on like I didn't want to ever let go. I hadn't even realised how crap I felt and how shaken I'd been by the business with Johan too. It must have shown in my face.

She, Ron, and I sat at the kitchen table and drank together as Mr Kreacher cooked dinner. I felt their inquisitive gazes watching me.

'What's happened, mate?' Ron eventually asked.

'I don't know,' I sighed. 'I really don't know.'

'Luna says that Draco has been really withdrawn since he came back from Dublin. She says he looks ill... you do too...' Hermione said. 'Did something happen between you?'