Thank You For All The Late Nights

January 2020

It felt like everything just happened yesterday. The day he met Avery to all the joyful days they spent together. Parang ang bilis lang ng lahat. One day they were happy and the next, their relationship is in the brink of ending.

He feels like the universe gave him every reason to be happy these past few months only to take them all back now para mas masakit. Fuck it.

"Good evening, Sir." Jes looked up and he was greeted by the warm smile of the nurse that attended to Malia a while ago. "Are you the father?"

Gusto na lang matawa ni Jes sa tanong ng nurse. Seems like the universe isn't done taunting him yet.

"No," he simply said. "I can call the father right now but I'm afraid any other immediate family member of the patient is not in the country currently."

Kanina habang papunta sila dito, he managed to ask Malia about any companion living with her. May pinsan itong nagtatrabaho and is currently working night shift kaya hindi ma-contact. Her parents are working abroad, and Avery... well, he has been ignoring her for days now.

"That would be great, Sir. But inform ko lang rin po kayo na stable naman na ang patient. Normal naman po ang spotting for pregnant women. Nag-panic lang siguro si Ma'am because this is her first time."

Kahit na galit si Jes kay Malia, he still felt relieved that the child is okay.

"Thank you. Sasabihin ko sa tatay ng bata," Jes informed the nurse who just nodded at him.

"By the way, the patient is in the waiting area na po. She's still waiting for his OB-Gyne for further check up para lang daw sure na walang problems kay Baby."

Jes thanked the nurse once again at sabay na silang pumunta sa waiting area na katapat ng clinic ng doctor ni Malia.

She looked so calm right now. Unlike kanina na halos hindi na makalakad sa kakaiyak. Lumapit si Jes dito and sat beside her but still not talking to her.

"Jes, thank you." Malia was the one who broke the silence. "Hindi ko talaga alam ang gagawin if you didn't come for me."

"Don't mind that. Tawagan mo na si Avery para mapuntahan ka na niya."

"He's ignoring me, remember?" Malia laughed weakly, halatang pagod na sa situation nila ni Avery. "Can you call him for me instead? Alam mo namang susunod 'yon sa lahat ng sinasabi mo."

Jes tried to see if there is any hint of sarcasm in her tone or if she's trying to be a bitch right now pero ang nakita niya lang ay ang pagod at pagsuko ni Malia.

"I will. Stay here. Bibili na rin ako ng dinner mo." Hindi naman bato si Jes. Kahit pa sobra ang galit niya sa babaeng ito, he still knows if a person needs caring.

"You don't need to get me anything. Let Avery do it. Kung pupuntahan niya ako."

Jes nodded. "Okay, then. I'll tell him to get food on his way here. I'll leave you here. Tatawagan ko lang siya."

Before Jes could even walk away, he felt Malia grab his hand.

"Jes, pwedeng mag-usap muna tayo? Before you call him?"

"Fine. What do we need to talk about?" Jes took his seat beside her once again. Nandito na lang rin naman siya and Malia might really be in need of someone to talk to.

Malia heaved a sigh so deep it felt like she's trying to release a heavy burden inside her.

"What are your plans with Avery?" Malia asked.

It's Jes's turn to sigh. "Honestly, Malia, hindi ko na alam. The future I envision for our relationship doesn't look possible anymore."

He waited for Malia's reaction. He wanted to see if there would be even a hint of smirk on her face or a triumphant expression. Because if he does see them, sasampalin niya ito.