Bulk Beauty

Evan

I got in the elevator at Bulk Beauty. 

I got off the elevator. 

"Good morning. I'm Millie, Mariana's assistant. Or your assistant now, I-- I guess." 

"Morning. I'd like to set a meeting this afternoon with Pink Team to get an update on their Wezap beta build. Let Purple Team know that I need code analytics. And get me the latest financial metrics on the new Metro app." 

"Oh, uh... Not in there. Uh... Mariana moved her office, uh... To be more accessible. It's down here." 

"Oh. Good idea." 

Millie led me to another office. 

"Hm. Nice to see the gender gap's closed a bit." 

She held the door open for me. 

"Thank you." 

I sat my phone on Mariana's desk since I had Emily on the phone. 

"You know, I don't know what it looked like, but you sounded like a boss." 

"Yeah. Well, I was hoping for a little bit more privacy. It's like I'm in a fishbowl." 

"Well, luckily, you're a good swimmer. Hey, I'm proud of you." 

"Have a safe flight. And... Thank you for coming. I love you." 

"I love you too." 

I hung up. 

"Evan." A guy called, opening the door. 

I turned to face him. 

"I'm Drake Aaron. I'm Mariana's Chief Communications Officer and a board member." 

We shook hands. 

"Just... Popping in to say "Hello" and, uh... Welcome back, I guess." 

"Thank you." 

"You know, we were all just shocked to hear that Mariana was shot and-- And in critical condition. Um... But we haven't been able to get much more information than that. Do you know the details?" 

Flashback 

"You should know, going in as interim CEO, there's been quite a bit of tension brewing between Mariana and the Board. Meaning the less you divulge to anyone regarding the shooting and your involvement, the better." 

End of flashback 

"I really don't." 

Drake nodded his head. 

"Uh... Any questions should be directed to Mariana's Lawyer." 

"Mm." 

We smiled at each other. 

"Will do." 

He approached the door. 

Drake paused. 

"Uh... Heads up, the company is under contractual obligation to give you 30 days as interim CEO. After that, the Board will initiate a vote of no confidence. And if the majority thinks you're unfit to run the company, you're out. Good luck." 

He walked out.