5 - Child Labors Laws Aren't Real Here. Including 5-Year-Old Servants. Ho-Why?

No one had seemed to notice the Royal Family or Aru and Kara, but that changed when Queen Malini cleared her throat. The room fell silent. "Hail to the Prince and Princess! May they have a have a prosperous rule over the Otherworld!" The King announced. "Hail!" came from all over the room.

A few people near them dropped onto one knee. More dropped down. Soon the whole room was on their knees. Kara squeezed Aru's hand and fell onto her knee. The Queen looked at her son, and then at Aru, and she too, fell onto her knee. The King followed suit.

Aru was horrified. All these people, trusting her. They looked so... sincere. And Aru was just going to backstab them. But it also felt... empowering. She had the power, or at least was going to have the power.

For the greater good. We're not bad or evil. We're doing this to end their tyranny, Aru repeated it in her head like a mantra.

Aiden, being trained for these situations, motioned for them to stand up. A part of Aru was glad for it. A soldier, who seemed to be only few years older than her, came up to Aru. "It is an honor to be serving you in the near future, my princess," he said. Aru smiled at him and simply said "Please, call me Aru. And it's my pleasure, Mister...?"

"Chole. Lakshan Chole," the Soldier said. "Chole, like the curry?" Aru asked, a slight grin on her mouth. "Exactly like the curry," Lakshan said, matching Aru smile. He bowed to Aru walked away. Aru smiled at more people, and then she approached Kara, who was talking to a duke. Kara, spotting Aru, quickly said goodbye and rushed to her sister. "Good act?" Aru whispered. "Wonderful act," Kara reassured.

Aru felt a tug on her dress. She looked down to see a small boy. She crouched down to his level. "Hello! What's your name?" Aru asked, her tone changing almost completely. She could see Kara struggling to keep a grin from spreading. Aru always loved being around kids. Kara walked away.

"My name is Rohan! And you're Princess Arundhati!" He exclaimed. Aru was exploding inside. HE WAS ADORABLE! "You're so smart! You can call me Aru" Aru said. "Okay Aru didi!" Rohan said. SO CUTE!!!

"How old are you?" Aru asked. Rohan held up five small fingers. Aru was pretty sure she was going to burst in joy. She lifted the boy up onto her hip as she stood up.

"Where's your mommy and daddy?" Aru asked. "The mean lady said ma is gone because of me and da left me for the war, and he's not coming back," Rohan said. Another War Orphan? Aru wondered He couldn't possibly be from anywhere in the Otherworld. They weren't a part of the war between Hevilastar and Aquanom.

"Who's the mean lady?" Aru asked. "Rohan! You little insect! I'm so sorry Princess! Has he been bothering you?" A tight-faced woman came up to Aru. Aru felt a burst of anger spike through her. Who was she to call Rohan an insect!?! Rohan buried his face into Aru's side. Aru pulled him closer.

"Of course not. In fact, he's been the sweetest thing in the world!" Aru said, smiling sourly. "Of course, Princess. I just don't think you should be conversing with a servant," The lady said. She had bun pulled back so much it had to hurt her scalp, and one of those everlasting scowl faces.

"A servant? He's five!" Aru said. "I understand that you haven't been in the castle before now Princess, but you must understand when I say that this is normal," The lady said. "Normal? He should be in school, learning his alphabets! Not running around the castle doing errands!" Is what Aru wanted to say, but what she actually said "Oh. Of course. But I think I'll choose who I want to talk to," Aru said. "Certainly, I'm no one to stop you," The lady said. But Aru didn't miss the scowl sent at Rohan.

"Was she the mean lady?" Aru asked Rohan once the lady left. Rohan nodded. "Lady Grifo," Rohan said. "Don't worry. I'll protect you," Aru reassured. Her daggers felt heavier under her dress. A bit of threatening might do it. Maybe a scratch too.

"Where do you live? I want to visit you," Aru said. "I live in the castle!" Rohan said. "Oh really! I'll visit you every day!" Aru promised. Rohan held up his pinky and Aru wrapped hers around his. She let him down and said, "Now go on!" Aru said. Rohan stepped away, before coming back and hugging Aru. Aru smiled and hugged him back. Aru pulled back and Rohan waddled off.

Vajra shocked her and Aru glared at it. "Look, I can't handle it. You know you can't either. Don't think I didn't notice you brightening so much," Aru said. Vajra dimmed a little.

"Aru?" A voice asked from behind her. Aru whirled around. "Mini?" Aru asked, her jaw dropping. "Oh my, it really is you!" Mini exclaimed. "What'd you expect? A doppelganger with the same exact name?" Aru said.

"I see you're just the same. How's Krithika Auntie and Suyodhana Uncle?" Mini asked. "They're doing fine. You haven't come back to Nottingham in years. What happened?" Aru asked. "Nothing happened, but I was offered a job on the Royal Guard as the King's bodyguard, and I accepted it," Mini said. "Really! That's wonderful! But you didn't even think to write home!" Aru pouted. "I never had time! What about Kara?" Mini asked. "She's here, but she's leaving later," Aru pursed her lips. "How have you been?" Mini asked. "Great, but I should really be asking you that," Aru said.

Mini smiled and said "It's been wonderful! Brynne was offered the position too, so she's here, but I don't know where she is ri-".

BAM!

The doors slam open, with Brynne in front with a chef's uniform on, balancing 5 plates with one of those dome coverings, on her hands, shoulder, and one on her head, with 10 other people behind her, carrying 2 or 3 plates.

Aru was biting back a grin. "Why does this remind me of hot chocolate?" Aru asked Mini. "The drink?" Mini asked, confused. "No, like the song, from 'The Polar Express'! They come in, like that, except they're carrying trays of hot chocolate, and they start singing," Aru said. Mini, realizing what Aru was talking about, burst out laughing. Aru laughed with her. Even Vajra seemed to be laughing, dimming and brightening, shocking Aru from time to time.

Brynne and the others put the plates down on a large table off to one side of the room, and as soon as they took off the dome lids, aromas of fresh food filled the air. Aru's mouth watered. "W-wow," Aru said. "I know right? You get used to it," Mini said, and then she rushed towards the table. Aru followed her.