Chapter 9

The trio of rats finally set off on their journey to the lab at midnight. From Casimir's view, it didn't seem too far to him. However, Mae was smaller than Keokuk and himself her stamina maybe might below. He did thought see her run as fast as she could away from the humans maybe a small rest might regain her strength. As the rodents padded across the pavemented path they passed by many shops and stores.

The night wasn't as busy as day so it was a perfect time to get started. Casimir spotted a familiar store as they walked. He stopped to give it a good view. It was all eroded and the paint seemed chipped off. The sign of it had dust riddled all over it and looked rather white. It read Uncle Steve's pet store from Casimir trying to say it out loud. "Sad this store had to go so quickly." A voice slinked up his ear. Casimir turned to his left to see another rat that was white and had a streak of black spots down it's back. It also had small glasses and a grey handmade coat.

"I had many memories in it." The rat spoke. "Most of them, however, was bad." Casimir looked at the rat in concern. "Do you know anything about this store?" The rat said turning his gaze sharply at him. "Not that I know of." Casimir shrugged. "I see might be accustomed to you." The rat chuckled. "I'm Darius what's your name?" "I'm Casimir." He replied. Darius' smile turned to a frown "Ah I had a brother named Casimir." He whispered. Casimir gave him a concerned look again. "He was always so close to my sister... That's when a misfortune happened." Darius continued.

".....Darius could you be my." Casimir muttered. "Brother? Hello, Casimir, it's me." Darius interrupted wagging his tail like a mutt. "Oh phew, I thought you were some kind of eerie rat stalker or something." Casimir relieved. "Yes indeed what are you doing here?" Darius asked. "This shop looked familiar to me." Casimir looked back up to It. "I see well that used to be your home," Darius said. "The owner dispatched the rest of our siblings including Wendigo away." Casimir did not want to remember Wendigo and what he did to his sister's thought shot through his heart.

"Casimir we were looking all over for you!" Mae greeted out as she ran towards him with Keokuk by her side. "Yeah, we don't have much time before the chemical release." Keokuk pointed out. Casimir turned to his friends then back to his brother. "I would ask more about what happened to this place but I must hurry I'm on a mission to destroy the human supplies in the lab," Casimir said. "Oh, all the way to the lab? Seem like you will need an extra set of transportation." Darius waved. "Who is this?" Mae asked. "That's my brother Darius he said he'd help us with getting there," Casimir said.

"Oh hello! I'm Mae princess of Solarlandia." Mae dipped in her dress. "Did you have to say that ending," Casimir grumbled. "Well, they could have been connected with me in some way!" Mae snapped. Mae and Casimir began to argue back and forth while they did that Keokuk introduced himself politely. "Nice to meet you..and the others I suppose," Darius spoke signaling his eyes to look at the two rats fighting. "Hey settle down you two we are running out of time," Keokuk shouted. Mae and Casimir both blinked at Keokuk snapping out of their argument quickly. "Right anyways brother your transportation?" Casimir asked. "Ah you won't like it but it's very effective," Darius said.

"Just go on with it we don't have all day," Casimir replied impatiently. "If you say so." Darius faltered. He soon squeezed his lips to make a rhythmic whistle exclaim out. Everyone looked at him in puzzlement and interest. "Uhhhh okay?" Mae perplexed. Then appeared from behind Darius was a tall recognizable figure. It made Casimir's heartbeat quickly to see the same beast that killed his dear sister. "A cat!" Keokuk noticed. "Well, no dip it's a cat. Watch out, Darius!" Mae called. "No no no that's my friend," Darius heartened. "Ohmigoshh! More adorable little rats! So cute! How are you guys so precious god my heart is going to explode!" The cat jumped and rambled around more like a dog.

Casimir didn't speak and just stared at it solidified. The falsehearted memories of his sister's death are starting to come to him and he didn't like it. His heart raced and his head pulsated he knew one thing he couldn't do during this trip. Was to trust no cat. "Aww thank you I am very adorable aren't I," Mae said flustered twirling around in her dress. Keokuk blushed as well but in embarrassment. "Omigoshhhh your little dress is so cute! I better stop oh wait I can't help it your all so frickin adorable." The cat screeched. "Alright alright enough complimenting. Meet Annie the cat my best friend since I escaped from my cage." Darius introduced.

"I'm Mae princess of Solarlandia." She beamed. "And I'm Keokuk from your local trash can." He chortled. After a quick moment of silence, Mae realized that Casimir didn't introduce himself. She gazed over to him and saw him just observing the cat sharply holding onto his pocket knife. "Casimir. Are you alright?" Mae dripped. Casimir shook his head and went back to concentrating on her. "Oh Uhm I'm fine," Casimir stated. "Hello, I'm Casimir." "Well, it's nice to meet you all! Soooooo cuuuuuute!" Annie sparkled. "Annie, could you be nice and give them and me a ride somewhere close by the lab?" Darius proposed.

"You can count on me! Annie always-" "We are not riding on her." Casimir intervened growling deeply. "What! Why not I've never ridden on a cat. Also, she seems nice." Mae objected. "I don't see a problem with this. If it can speed up the time to get there then I'm all for it." Keokuk gambled. "Can't you see cats can trick you! They are sly and would do anything to eat a rat!" Casimir threatened. "Oh is that's what this is all about? Eating a rat? I hate rat meat it's disgusting I rather have me a 12 course from Pete's diner with some Hors d'oeuvres, Amuse-Bouche, Soup, Appetizer, Salad, Fish ..." Annie traced off licking her lips.

"See she doesn't even like us for food! All she thinks is we are cute now let's get on or we'll leave you." Mae warmed and climbed onto Annie's back. "And I'm totally fine with...being cute" Keokuk blushed to himself. "Heehehe that tickles." She tittered. Keokuk and Darius followed behind Mae while Casimir watched in frustration. He lingered for a moment then squawked and padded to Annie to climb on her back. "Let's make this quick." Casimir snapped. Then off they went on their way to the lab. However, as Casimir held on he still felt a bit anxious about this cat. They're nice and all but he can't stop thinking about the horrific death of his sister. He felt a light tap on his back and turned around to see the worrying smile on Mae's face.

"Are you still ok I can hear you sniffling." She mumbled. "I'm fine thanks for checking on me." He replied softly. "Anytime I want us to have a good time while we are on our adventure. Just forget to forget the past as you said." Mae winked. Casimir just realized he did say that to Fayre when she was in distress. Maybe he needed to forget about his sister by calming down. The wind pressed against his white fur as Annie picked up her pace. He lifted his head to feel the cool night breeze. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all.