Chapter 11

Annie has been walking for a few hours she started to get tired. "Do you need a rest, Annie, I can hear you panting." Darius comforted. "I'd really like a break." Annie rasped. She walked over to an empty alley with messy papers scattered across the floor. She bent down to let the rats off her back each and curled up immediately falling asleep. "We should rest too we are right beside the lab to see?" Keokuk said pointing to the huge white building with several glowing windows. There were big letters on the very top of it that spelled "live corps." Mae smiled but immediately went back to a frown.

"But we don't have a plan yet," Mae added. "That's true we must come up with something tonight," Casimir whispered. "No rest is more important we need to save our energy!" Keokuk warned. Casimir lashed his tail in annoyance. "We aren't even safe. Look at Annie and my brother they are already asleep." "Keo is right he has been in the lab already so he should know his way around," Mae said. "I guess that's true too," Casimir spoke looking down at the ground. "I may know my way around however a lab is a big place I haven't been everywhere." Keokuk sniffed.

The wind whistled the scent of the cat began to be more fragrant to Mae. She lifted her nose into the air to smell if she was hallucinating. "Well, maybe we should look for an entrance." Casimir considered. "Perhaps ...the roof?" Keokuk replied. Casimir gave him a look of disbelief. "How would we even be able to get up there." He grumbled. Keokuk pondered for a moment then spotted Mae sniffing the air in alert. "Is something wrong Mae?" He asked. "I smell cat," Mae said wearily. "Of course you do there's a cat over there." Casimir snapped pointing at the slumbering cat. "But it's a different cat scent." Mae indicated.

Casimir hesitated and Keokuk wondered if something was wrong. It did feel uncomfortable being in a random unfamiliar alley with darkness flowing around it. Who knows what would be hiding beyond the pitch-black shadows of the night. A noise of walking was creeping closer to them. Mae's heart raced in distress as she saw a figured charging towards them barking loudly. "DOG!" Keokuk exclaimed quickly running over to Annie to wake them up. Mae didn't understand she smelled cat instead of dog was her senses wrong?

The dark black dog with a chestnut brown underbelly and breast plunged towards them growling and snarling. Annie and Darius were awake and getting ready to run. Casimir was ready to fight. "Get on Annie I'll handle this." He pulled out his dagger. "But Casimir!" Mae hesitated. "Now!" Casimir growled jumping to the dog's face. Mae joined with Keokuk and Darius on Annie and they rushed forward to escape. Casimir bit into the dog's face and held on tight as the canine shook his head around.

"You bastard! Get off me." The dog snarled throwing Casimir off onto a wall. "I'm about to tear you apart." The dog licked his lips and crept closer to Casimir who was trying to lip away. "Leave that rat alone this instant you foul fiend." A voice yelled from afar. "Who said that..." The creature said looking around. "I did." A gorgeous white rat with 2 long tufts of hair dangling from her cheeks and a dark midnight dress that looked scratched and cut up." Another rat are you kidding me." He groaned. "Wait aren't you Mae's sister?" Casimir asked. "No time for questions." The rat silenced. The rat zipped quickly around the dog and sliced his eye until it was missing.

"Argh! You'll pay for this!" The dog said bolting to the mysterious rat. The rat jumped onto its face and dug her teeth into his head. "Go now! Find your friends hurry!" The rat said incoherently. Casimir nodded and rushed to catch up with his gang trying not to remember the rat who saved him. Who was this rat and why did she save him? The question circulated around his head as he has seen his friends appearing insight. They seem to have stopped. He could hear his name being shouted from amongst them.

Mae actually was the one that seems to get closer to him. She ran and ran until they finally collide, hugging tightly and falling on the ground. "I thought you would be dead," Mae said smiling wearily. Casimir returned her hug back. He loved the warm feeling of hugs, especially from Mae. He wanted this to go on forever. The others caught up to them. "Nice to see you alive brother," Darius said with Keokuk beside him nodding in agreement. "YAY RAT FRIEND OR ... UM .... CASH MER IS ALIVE!" Annie said cheerfully. Casimir was surely glad to see his friends okay too. "Well it was rough back there but someone came down to save me." He said.

"Hm? Who?" Mae asked pulling away from his hug. "They looked absolutely stunning their fur was as white as winter snow. Their dress was torn and tattered but either way, they looked incredible it was almost blinding!" Casimir exclaimed hesitating. "They came out of nowhere just to save me." He continued. "Oh really? Where are they? They certainly sound very brave and useful." Keokuk puzzled. Casimir pondered whether he should tell them that he left him there. But he didn't want to lie "They ... um ... I left them with the dog." Casimir murmured.

"What?! Why?" Mae ululated. "They told me they said they could handle it," Casimir said standing up from the ground. "But a rat can't beat a dog the odds are impossible." Darius doubted. "I believe they could do it. You should have seen their moves. They were as quick as an eagle and as stealthy as a fox." Casimir replied. "With enough courage that rat has I think they could do it." Keokuk agreed. "THANK YOU," Casimir shouted giving a smile to keokuk in salute. "Maybe we should check on them." Mae muttered. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to look." Annie agreed. Everyone else concurred and climbed onto Annie and went back to the direction they came from.

The sun was trying to come out from the horizon beyond as the wind blew swiftly against the fur of the creatures as they saw the dog. Everyone fell silent when they saw the dog's body motionless on the ground. It seemed that a huge rock had crushed it's head and quickly killed it. It definitely didn't seem alive it's skull was crushed and unseeable under the rock and blood waterfalled from underneath. "Do you think that rat did that." Darius asked. Mae shook her head in disbelief,Keokuk muttered a sad Yes,and Casimir hesitated. "How..." Casimir murmured. The rat even seemed shorter than himself he just couldn't believe.

"We need to go sleep it's what we need and we don't have much time to have it." Keokuk ordered. "Where do we sleep?" Annie asked. "Good question." Darius said. "Well we could always go deeper a little in this alley." Casimir suggested. "Oh heck no it's too dark and dangerous looking." Mae shivered. "Good it will help us sleep better." Keokuk said. Mae tried to protest but Annie had already made up her mind and went into the dark alley and settled down. No recent scent of cat,dog,or rat swirled in the air. Mae was getting ready to sleep with the others but the description of the mystery rat made her think closely. Hair tufts? It reminded her of her sister she wanted to go apologize about the argument that happened earlier really badly.

"I've been watching you sweetheart." A voice called out to her. Mae flinched and perked up her ears in alert. "Who is that?" Mae whispered. "Oh nobody I know how you feel. I miss my family too." The voice replied. "Huh? What family? What voice has a family I think I'm hallucinating again." Mae rubbed her face. "Oh no sweetie I'm just another voice I'd like to say you are awfully pretty." The voice chuckled. "Oh thank you." Mae bowed. "May I ask your name?" "Jessimyn." The voice cooed. "That's so pretty. I'm Mae." She introduced. "Thanks I know you already remember?" Jessimyn tittered. "Oh! Right! Wait ew that's creepy." Mae said disgusted.

"Yes I know I get that a lot." Jessimyn gave a sigh. "Will I be able to see who you are?" Mae urged. "Tomorrow. Now go get some sleep and I'll show you." Jessimyn whispered. "Ah alright goodnight Jessimyn." Mae said walking over to Casimir who was snoring loudly. She curled up next to him and closed her eyes waiting for morning to take her away.