Chapter 4

A/N: I promise. I am working on this story. However, I have been working on others more. If you want me to update this before I actually do, feel free to tell me to update, but please give me about three days to do so.

Thanks

~Rissa

_______________________________________________________________________________

I landed on my feet and had to skid to a halt before I ran into something or someone. My whole body relaxed because I was home before it went tense again, since I had no idea where we were or who was near us.

"Thank the stars," someone breathed a sigh of relief, and I bit back a growl of warning while I got my bearings. "You were able to get them out before they got killed. Alaesa, are you ok?"

"I need you to shut up, Raul," the Elven female named, Alaesa, scolded. She didn't hop off my back like I thought she would, and I had a feeling that she was more injured than she was letting on. "Help me off of His Highness, I can't get off."

I opened my eyes and saw another shifter in front of me, and it was someone that looked a little familiar to me, but I couldn't put where I knew him. I bit back a growl while he looked at me and then at the female that wanted his help to get her off my back.

"Are you sure..?" Raul asked, hesitating. He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet. "His Highness is staring hard at me, and I don't think he wants me near him." There was a small bit of pain in his voice, and I couldn't help but feel guilty for hurting him, even though I had no idea why.

I flicked my tail in annoyance and didn't say a word while I narrowed my eyes and scowled. I bit back a scoff when my sister pulled at my mane but looked at her.

"Be nice, Parker," she scolded, and I rolled my eyes and scowled but relented slightly. Sne looked at Raul and smiled. "You can help her get down, Mister," she said softly. "My brother won't do anything to you."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, but I didn't say a word. I knew better than to say a word because she had a better mother look than our mother, and it freaked me out more than our mother's look did.

Raul looked at me and then looked at my sister. Doubt still filled his eyes, and I had a feeling that he didn't want to go near me, even though I wouldn't do anything to him because of the fact that my sister told me not to.

"Help me down, Raul," Alaesa said, again. "Please." She cleared her throat and shifted on my back. "We're running out of time. We need to get them situated before they find us."

Raul looked at me one last time before he nodded. "Ok," he said hesitantly. He watched me lay down so that it'd be easier to get them off my back and kept watching me while he walked to my side.

I didn't mind because I was watching him like a hawk, too. I had no idea why, but I was very protective of this other female on my back, even though I had no idea who she was.

All I knew was that she was injured and that it was my duty to protect her, even though I knew that she would be able to protect herself.

Raul bowed his head and stayed silent while he helped Alaesa off my back, and I bit back a small growl and flicked my tail in annoyance.

Alaesa grimaced when she put weight on her injured foot and kept hold of the other male to steady herself before she let go of him. "Help her down too so that he can shift back into his human form," she instructed before she limped to the side.

Raul nodded and was about to help her down when she shoved the stuff we had brought with us into his arms. "Oomph," he said and took a step back while my sister slid off my back.

'Be nice,' I said, and she looked at me before she looked at Raul with a small grin on her face. 'Apologize.'

My sister looked at me again and rolled her eyes before she turned her attention back to him. "I am sorry about that," she said. "I like to do stuff on my own, and I only needed the bags out of my hands to do it."

Raul bowed his head and offered her a small smile. "It's ok," he said. "Parker was the same way when he was your age. He would get us in trouble and then get us out of it, and all I could do was shake my head and follow his lead."

I shifted into my human form and looked at Alaesa and then Raul, suddenly realizing that he had been my companion and personal guard before we moved away. "Weren't you supposed to be watching my back and making sure that I didn't do anything stupid?" I asked and raised an eyebrow while I looked at him through narrowed eyes.

Raul, Raylon, eyes filled with relief when I said that, and he dipped his head while he smiled. "Must I remind you that you teasingly pulled rank on me every time I would try to tell you not to do something, and we would do it anyway?"

I shrugged. "You should've tried harder." I cleared my throat and grew serious while I looked at Alaesa. "Are you able to walk to where we are supposed to go?" I asked, concerned.

"I'll be fine," Alaesa said, but I had a small suspicion that she wasn't quite sure. "You two need to get changed out of your clothes and to something... more appropriate before we go anywhere. Do you two have clothes?"

I nodded. "We do," I confirmed. "That is what is in the satchels. Mother made sure that we would be prepared if we ever had to flee back here from there."

"Do they show rank?" Alaesa asked, and I shook my head, no. She nodded and looked relieved. "Good. Go ahead and get changed. Then we'll leave and get back to our base. No one besides us is to know who you two are, ok?"

I nodded. "Of course," I said. I looked at my sister and held out my hand for her to grab. "Come on, let's get you dressed into those clothes and get you accumulated to this area."

Delilah nodded and took my hand. She stayed silent while she looked around, clutching her lion. Her whole body was tense, but I could tell that she was excited too.

Raul handed me the bags and bowed his head. "We'll keep watch out here, Your Highness," he said softly, and I nodded. "Please, hurry because I don't know how long we will be safe in this spot."

I nodded again. "I know," I said and cleared my throat, "and we have to get her foot checked out. Come on, Lil, we'll be safe over here." I started to lead her behind the trees and she followed while the two of them watched our backs.

Gods, please make sure that we do stay safe, I silently prayed and dipped my head while I bit my lip. Please.