Chapter 3

(Dipper pov)

I lay in bed staring up at the ceiling. Since all the clothes I had got destroyed in Bill's truck, they gave me new ones including a tank top and shorts to use for pajamas. I hold my bare hands up looking at them.

Why was I given the power to do that to people? All it's ever done is hurt them. I don't understand. People here encourage me to learn to control it. But how do I control something that makes me unable to ever have a physical connection to anyone?

I get up walking out of the room down the hall. I hug my arms to myself as I stop outside Bill's room. I hesitantly knock on the door. He opens it, being shirtless and wearing a pair of black shorts.

"Pinetree? What are you doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep. Can I sleep in here with you instead?"

"Sure, I guess."

He steps aside letting me enter. I close the door behind me. I look over seeing him set a pillow and blanket on the small couch in the room. I notice a knife on the bedside table.

"What's that?"

"What?" He looks over at the knife. "Oh. There was this guy who had this metal in his body that could cut through anything and these people......well they decided to use it for a different purpose."

"They made you a knife?"

"It wasn't for me but they did make it. I just took it with me when I left."

"Can you read minds?"

"Yes but I don't."

"What do you mean?"

"Reading one mind is like opening a flood gate. It means I'll hear everyone else's thoughts and I don't like having that many voices in my head. So I build a mental wall around myself to shut everything out."

"Is that how you learned to control it?"

"Sort of. It's late so let's talk more about this in the morning."

"Okay."

He goes over to the bed laying down. I go over to the couch laying down and pulling the blanket over me. He puts the knife under his pillow and switches off the light encasing the room in darkness.

I trace the creases in the blanket. Doing patterns like this always helped me get to sleep back home.

Hearing grunting I look over at Bill. He's tossing and turning, grunting slightly. Almost as it he's in pain.

I get out of bed going over to him, clicking on the lamp. He is soaked in sweat. What do I do? I can't touch him to wake him up.

"Bill." When he doesn't wake or show sign of waking I lean closer and say it louder, just wanting to wake him up from whatever bad dream he was in. "Bill!"

His eyes shoot open as he sits up and I feel this numb pain in my stomach. Looking down I see it's the knife, his hand on the hilt as its hilt deep in my stomach.

"Shit...." I hear the fear and panic in his voice. I whimper softly as he pulls it out and drops it to the floor, blood staining my tank top quickly. "S-Someone help us in here! We need help."

Without thinking I reach out grabbing his wrist. He looks at me confused but his expression pales as his eyes roll back in his head. I feel the pain in my stomach fading. Once it's gone completely I let go. He falls to the floor convulsing just like what happened to Tyrone.

I turn around seeing Storm standing there, some of the other students standing behind me. All the students look at me with horror in their eyes.

"I-I just....."