Chapter 9

It probably went without saying by now that Gaster was a very... Anxious person? Emotional? He couldn't quite put his disorderly emotions into a specific folder, but he doesn't need to anyway. He's content with just ignoring it.

He drags in a deep breath of air, the invisible element settling in his lungs and providing him with oxygen while also settling his rapid breaths. He forces himself to relax, to regain his neutrality in the chaos of emotions in himself. He refuses to be dragged down by such distracting notions such as a supposed "break down" as one of his colleagues mentioned when they stumbled upon Gaster in his office in an unfavorable time. He promised to never speak of it again, and Gaster will forever be grateful for that fact.

Anyway, Gaster stamps down his drowning guilt to focus on alleviating his boss' worries. He turns back to the screen, wincing just slightly at the dejected tone noticeable in his King's message and makes a quick reply.

---------

Your Majesty,

I am terribly sorry for all of the trouble and worry I have created for you and your family and I am grateful for the efforts you took to find my person. I apologize for not having been in touch for quite some time, however the colleagues of which you had spoken to, did indeed tell you the utmost truth. My prolonged absence had been due to a solo project I had been pursuing —that I had mentioned before in audience to you, of course— and I had not found time to educate people on my whereabouts. I am truly regretful to have put you in such a fretful manner, and I hope you can find it in yourself to forgive this old scientist. I wish all the best and please do give my deepest wishes to Her Majesty as well as the young princes.

Sincerely,

W.D. Gaster

Royal Scientist

---------

He'd sent the message and had expected to be able to actually start his work now when he'd received another message. A reply to his. He sits, momentarily astonished by the quick reply before he opens it again. Warmth floods his soul as he realizes that means that his king, His Highness, had been waiting for a response from him.

---------

Gaster,

Thank the heavens you've replied. You've no idea how worried sick I'd been! Having not heard from you in days is such a troubling fact. I'd have appreciated it if you would've sent even the slightest indication that you're alive! However, I'm just glad to hear from you. You don't know how many nights I spent staring at my messages hoping you'd respond. Thank heavens.

Reeling slightly from your response,

Asgore Dreemurr

King of the Underground

---------

If a tomato had been a person, well it'd have been Gaster as he blushes madly at the sweet words his King had written him. Of course firstly, Gaster blushes in black magic, so the better comparison would've been a cloudless black night. Ethereally dark in every way and gleaming in sugared words. Secondly, the king is quite the compassionate person. Often he has been caught with such candied words on his tongue spouting to anyone who is close to him. Knowing this, it essentially meant that although his words may have seemed made for Gaster himself and chosen specifically to melt him from inside out, there was no real meaning other than platonic care behind his words.

Gaster was aware of this fact, yet too caught up in the sugary words anyway. After taking a few moments to collect himself, (Gaster was never one to allow himself to indulge in his feelings for long, even if positive) he took to the plate again. He responded swiftly to his King's words and awaited his response.

---------

Your Highness,

I apologize to say that I do believe you are unnecessarily making quite big deal of this matter. I am but your humble loyal scientist not worthy enough of such attention. However, appreciation for your actions slips not from my soul. I realize now that even a simple message such as, "hello" would have been best to implicate my well-being. I apologize again for the lack of action on my part.

Sincerely,

W.D. Gaster

Royal Scientist

---------

It took a couple minutes this time for his King to respond but when it did come eventually, it settled an orb of dread in the lowest pits of his abdomen. He could feel it shift uncomfortably around his bones and scream its presence as it begged to be known. It was cold and jagged, freezing him from deep within, making him akin to a block of ice and stabbing painfully at his entirety. Making him impossibly uncomfortable and uneasy at the suggestion his King proposed.

---------

Gaster,

I believe I'd mentioned before to call me by my first name, Asgore. We're close friends are we not? You know this formality isn't necessary when speaking to me, just refer to me as the friends we are. Secondly, refer back to the fact that we are friends and rethink your feelings about your significance. Actually, nonetheless, you are a person and should be worried for just like everyone else, regardless of my standing! Anyway, I'm glad we can settle that mess of a lack of communication behind us as we discuss your findings in your project. I invite you to the castle tomorrow noon for lunch to talk things over. You are coming, correct?

Eagerly awaiting for your confirmation,

Asgore Dreemurr

King of the Underground

---------

'Well, shit.' Gaster thinks, not at all prepared to reveal the failure in plan to his King.