Day One Part Four

After defeating the slime the pair followed Amber, their new guide to Mondstadt.

They saw a chest and went to open it. Amber struck up a conversation.

"So, suspicious travelers. What are you doing in Mondstadt?"

She really just- wow.

"Jaylenth got separated from her brother during a really, really long journey. Paimon is her travel buddy, helping her to find her brother."
"Oh, looking for your family... Huh."

The conversation dipped as Amber thought for a moment.

"Ah..."

What about that statement is so puzzling?

"Okay! Let me finish my other stuff first, and then I can help you put up posters around the city..."
"What exactly is it you need to finish doing first?" Paimon asked,
"It's simple. You'll understand in a bit."

Amber led the pair to the location of her objective. Jaylenth saw an interesting statue and reached out for it only for it to float higher and glow blue instead of red. She then took a few steps away from it as if she had done nothing.

"Ah! A hilichurl!" Paimon warned.
"So that's what those are called," Jaylenth noted.
"Quick! Get it!" Amber yelled, jumping on the defensive.

Amber saw one approach and another behind it. Jaylenth summoned her sword but Amber shook her head. She placed a short but large bunny that looked similar to her on the ground. She then stepped away as the closer hilichurl proceeded to attack it. She ended the other hilicurl with her bow, from afar. As she did her small bunny exploded setting fire to the ground and majorly damaging the hilichurl attacking it.

Daaaaamnnnnn. Wait, is that fire on the grass? Is she not worried about that? I mean last I checked fire spreads so-

With a swift shot from her bow the final hilichurl was defeated. She smiled at her victory and then gestured for the pair to follow her.

"These monsters have been getting too close to the city recently."
Jaylenth grimaced, "Yikes."
"So, my task this time is to clear out their camp."
"Want some help?" Jaylenth offered.
"No need, though I won't stop you if you do."

They reached the site of the hilichurl camp and Jaylenth scanned the area. She looked to Amber, who was aiming for the hilichurl atop a tower. Once she shot (and hit a head shot) the rest of the hilichurls ran towards them. Amber immediately started firing more arrows and Jaylenth summoned her sword.

After the hilichurls were defeated the three stopped for a conversation.

"Heh, nothing to it," Amber said.
"Mhm. Ain't nothin to it but to do it," Jaylenth replied.
"Though I've gotta say, you surprised me a little with your moves there..."
"Hah, just tryna help out."
"Thanks for the backup. How'd it feel?"
"Pretty good honestly"

"Now that you mention it, how is it the hilichurls ended up here?" Paimon asked.

"Good question."

"These creatures don't seem like the type to set up camp so close to cities like this," Paimon pointed out.

"Exactly. It's more normal for them to be much further out in the wilderness. Bet because the dragon--Stormterror--had been around a lot more recently, or orchards have been destroyed and the local market has been affected as well."

The pair looked at each other, concerned.

"When the storms hit we usually end up with at least a few injuries, so the Knights of Favonies have been tied up doing the best they can to defend the area."
"So these annoying creatures have been getting closer and closer to the city?" Paimon asked.
"Exactly. That said, clearing this camp helped make the area a little safer."
"That's good to hear. I'm glad I could help," Jaylenth told Amber.
"Thank you. Now come with me! A responsible knight must make sure to see you to the city safely."

Jaylenth looked around the camp they just cleared out.

"Actually, could we look around here a bit first?"
"Sure. But try to be quick about it, we want to get back to Mondstadt as soon as possible."

Jaylenth did attempt to be swift. She opened a chest, broke through some boxes and barrels and found some apples and a strange fruit she hadn't heard of before.

"Okay. I'm ready."
"Then off we go!" Amber said and began to lead the way.

a/n: I'm on fire. It's insane. Also, I pulled on the Nahida banner and  got her on the 11 wish. One reason why this chapter was delayed. Another is because I posted it on tumblr and then like no where else- oops. Anyways, please comment and vote. Tis MysteriaQueen bidding adieu to all my mysterious guys gals and nonbinary pals. Adios