Day One Part 5

As the pair walked Amber ended up quite ahead of them. Jaylenth decided against rushing to catch up as she could see Mondstadt and the distance and Paimon knew how to get there if they got really lost. Jaylenth picked up every mushroom, pinecone, apple, and sunsettia she could find. When they began to smell something delicious cooking. Eventually they see a woman standing near a pot and approach her.

"Hmm. What should I cook next?"

She noticed the pair and turned to speak to them.

"Oh! Are you travelers from around here as well?"
"No, we just happened to be passing by," Paimon said, punctuating her sentence with a sniff.
"So, Whatcha cookin'?" Jaylenth asked.
"It smells really goood!"
"I see. Welcome travelers! I'm Lynn, the survival expert of the Adventurers Guild."
"Wowie," Jaylenth said with widened eyes.
"As you can see I'm experimenting with some new recipes."

Paimon gasped, wearing an expression that may as well be drooling.

"'Eat before you go.' --The first rule of the 'Wilderness Survival Guide.'"
"A picnic? Oh Paimon just loves picnics! My travel partner here is good at cooking as well."
"Yeah, cooking is fun."
"Oh, there's a cooking pot right there," Lynn said, pointing. "Show me what you got."
"Okay! What am I makin'?"
"There are some Mushrooms and meat in the barrel over there. Try making a Chicken-Mushroom Skewer for me."
"Bet."

Jaylenth looted the barrel and then stepped up to the pot. She slightly stuck her tongue out and focused. Paimon looked at her expressions, bewildered. Unperturbed, Jaylenth went on to make perfect Chicken Mushroom Skewers.

"Wow! Good job!" Paimon cheered.
"Hehe, thanks. I'm gonna make some more stuff while we're here."
"Ooooo! Paimon's hungry already."
"I'm making this for later."
"Ugh! No fair."

Along with a few skewers, Jaylenth also made Radish Vegetable Soup and Sweet Madame. After she finished the pair talked to Lynn again.

"Is it done? Mmm... Smells good!"

Lynn began to eat the skewer.

"Oh..."
Jaylenth raised an eyebrow. "Ahh... Uh oh,"
"Now that's really tasty! You are indeed gifted!"
"Paimon told you so!"
"With your culinary skills, you should try more difficult dishes."
"Seriously? Thanks." Jaylenth replied, awed by the compliment.
"You're welcome. Oh! I've got some raw ingredients in my bag. Have them in return for this meal."
"Can we really have them? Won't you run of ingredients?"
"Paimon shh-"
"That's okay. You should be able to find lots of ingredients when exploring the wilderness. Don't forget to look carefully."
"I definitely do."
"There's also a restaurant known as Good Hunter that sells food and ingredients. Go have a look when you've got the time."
"Will do."
"Okay, thank you for the info," Paimon said before suddenly gasping. "Hey! Leave some Chicken-Mushroom Skewers for Paimon!"

They said their goodbyes and continued into Mondstadt. As they walked they came across a bridge. Jaylenth took the time to go over to the left side of the bridge and observe the scenery. Much past the body of water the bridge was built over there was a rather sharp peak. The water, grass, and trees were so beautiful to her that couldn't help but stop there for a second.

"Mondstadt is pretty."
"All of Teyvat is."

She walked to the other side of the bridge and saw many peaks across the water. Then she looked straight ahead at the city in front of her. She took in the buildings and windmills before her.

Blinking herself back to reality she began to cross the bridge and noticed a small boy off to the side surrounded by various birds. She walked towards the boy, scaring the birds away.

"What're you doing?! You're scaring the pigeons away!"
"Oh! Oh- I am so sorry.... Well they'll be back at some point y'know?"
"They do come back usually..."
"See! They'll be back."
"But what happens if one day they leave and never come back again."
"Uh- Well-"
"Just like Daddy..."

Jaylenth's eyes widened beyond belief. Damn it. Where's Paimon and their constant cheery disposition when you need it? Jaylenth kneeled down in front of the kid and smiled.

"What's your name?"
"Timmie."
"Well Timmie, I can assure you of one thing. If you keep feeding these pigeons and treating them well they will always come back."
"Really?"
"Yes. And when they have babies they'll bring them here and you'll get to feed them too."
"How do you know?"
"Because the birds love you for feeding them and they want to keep coming back. I'm sorry for scaring them away."
"Okay.... thank you."
"Of course!"

Jaylenth stood up and continued across the bridge into the city.