Late

His arm wrapped around her waist as they laughed at something Carlos had said. Y/n stood off in the corner as she grappled with the fact that her best friend and the guy she had been in love with since first grade was dating someone who looked nothing like her. She had put on her favorite dress for the party they were at tonight and she was going to tell how she felt until she answered her door and found a girl wrapped around him. She had tried to not let it look like it effected her, but the longer she was in their presence, the harder the tears welling in her eyes pushed to fall. Every part of her appearance tonight was solely focused on him and the things he had said he thought looked good on her in the past, she felt pathetic. She downed the rest of her drink before she grabbed her purse and began to walk out of the event. None of the drivers stopped her as they watched her walk out, all of them knowing exactly what was going on. It was no secret she was in love with him and what she didn't know was that Charles was in love with her too. That's why all of the drivers couldn't believe he had met someone and actually became official with them. Specifically, Carlos made sure Charles didn't see his "best friend" walk out, knowing he would chase after her and it would end in heartbreak for all parties involved, including his new girlfriend, Charlotte. She seemed sweet from what he could see so far and the anger he had towards Charles for bringing her into this when he was very clearly in love with someone else began to develop. He knew Charles meant well, but the boy was never going to get over his "best friend".

She pushed the door and welcomed the cool Monaco air, it helping her feel like she wasn't drowning. She began to walk down the street, towards her apartment, and it was only then that she let the tears fall. After holding them back for hours, she replayed every touch and whisper Charles gave to Charlotte right in front of her and the pain felt like it was going to swallow her whole. She couldn't see, but she refused to sit on one of the benchs of the sidewalk and risk someone seeing her. He never had anything to move on from and she did, she always will. He could live his life and be happy with other people while she got stuck pinning for her childhood next door neighbor. When she finally got home, she sat on her couch and stayed there until the sun came up. Her tears never subsided, they only grew stronger when the only text she got that night was from Carlos asking if she was okay and nothing from Charles.

-

"Y/n, can you go get the door?" Carlos had yelled from his kitchen as she sat in his living room, waiting for him to finish cooking their dinner.

"Yeah, sure." She reluctantly pulled herself from the comfortable couch and slugged over to the door. It had been a rough two months. Ever since the party and Charles' hard launch, she had gone completely dark. Not talking to any of the drivers except Carlos and disappeared from the public. There was speculation, of course, people connecting the dots after her disappearance coincided with his new relationship, but she never said anything. She barely went out anymore. Charles had texted her a few times, but he was busy with training and his new girlfriend that she didn't have to worry about making some random excuse for her falling out. When he picked up on her act of shutting everyone out, Carlos had fought to stay in her life. He had known the girl for years and he saw her as his little sister, someone he wanted to protect from everything. He had cooked her food in the beginning when she couldn't get herself out of bed and he had taken her on walks around her neighborhood when she had completely given up on herself. He had kept Charles away from her even when Charles insisted on going to her house, worried over the fact that she hadn't texted him in two days. Charles wasn't okay and he hadn't been since she fell off the face of the Earth. Carlos had told him multiple times that his presence would only make things worse and he needed to give her space to breathe and heal. Thankfully, he had respected that the best he could.

Y/n opened the door to be met with someone she had tried so hard to forget about for months, Charles. His face lit up as he saw her and, without thinking, he pulled her into his arms. Hugging her felt like he was finally able to breathe again, but he couldn't shake the way her hands didn't wrap around him or how she wasn't as enthusiastic to see him as he was to see her. When the rejection hit him, he pulled away and shoved his hands in his pockets. They just stared at each other before the sound of Carlos' feet pattered against the hardwood floor and he appeared behind Y/n. His face fell when he saw who had been awaiting him on the other side of his door.