Chapter 19: Waiting

After the moms and Miss Abby chatted about the group dance in the dressing room (and the girls and I went and got some much needed snacks from one of the vending machines), it was time for awards.

As usual, I was nervous - I loved my solo, and obviously I wanted to do well with it. I was worried that the judges wouldn't really get the concept.

As Maddie, Chloe, Paige and I walked to the stage, I took a deep breath. It's okay if they don't get it. Whatever happens happens. I had to remind myself that I would be okay, even if I lost to Maddie and Chloe - I figured my spot was secure enough as it was. This would just be another point in my favor if I won.

Although, Miss Abby was always saying how replaceable everyone was. I couldn't get complacent, especially since I'm new to the team.

We sat on the stage for what felt like hours, watching them give awards for mini solos, duets and trios, large groups, and more categories that we frankly couldn't care less about. The first one we came across that actually mattered for us was the teen solo category - Brooke had been entered and had performed an acro solo, which I think she ended up winning her division with (sadly, this never made it to the actual TV show).

Finally, it was time for the junior solo awards. For this competition, since it was a 9-11 age range, Maddie, Chloe and I were all in the same category. I figured that because of that, no matter the outcome, it would probably be "good TV", as I often heard the producers comment when the moms fought.

"Alright! Starting off with our 9 to 11 overall solo awards. In tenth place..."

They got to fifth, and none of us had been called yet. Chloe squeezed my hand. I knew she was nervous, too, so I squeezed back.

"In fourth place...entry number 111, this will be Miss Sarah with Midnight Rain!"

We all politely clapped as a girl with thick red hair went up to receive her award.

"In third place...entry number twenty-four, Miss Chloe with The Raven!"

I internally sighed, and I couldn't tell if it was one of relief or disappointment. Chloe got up to take her award, and in the audience, I could see her mom rolling her eyes dramatically.

I didn't have too much time to think about that, though, because the judges were moving onto second place.

"In second place...entry number twenty-two, Miss Hailey with Assassin!"

I grinned, getting up and running over to where Chloe was standing, ready to accept my award. I may not have won, but I did beat Chloe, and that was a start.

I gave Chloe a half smile as I accepted my award. Despite being happy that I wasn't last out of the three of us, I felt bad that she was. I would have been upset for any of us who placed third.

"And, ladies and gentlemen, please give a round of applause for your Fire and Ice junior champion, Miss Maddie with I'm Already There!"

Maddie looked positively giddy as she went up to get her award. I saw Miss Abby and Melissa hugging in the audience, as well as Christi looking extremely disappointed. I looked for my mom, who was (thankfully) cheering for Maddie along with Holly and Kelly. I was glad she hadn't gotten caught up in all the solo drama.

We waited through more categories, until we finally got to the overall junior group awards. I wrinkled my nose at Paige. There is no way this is going to place well, I hoped my eyes said.

Luckily, it seemed like Paige got it, because she shook her head at me, looking like she was dreading the group awards just as much.

We waited through tenth through fifth place, and still no ALDC. I was kind of shocked. Did we actually get top five with this dance?