Chapter 3: The Competition

A few days pass, and soon enough, it's the day of the competition. I brushed the tangles out of my long, dirty blond hair and left it down, so it would be easy to style once we got to the competition.

I put on a pair of black leggings, a black and white t-shirt, and my pink sweatshirt-jacket thing that Kendall and I had received yesterday. It was short-sleeved, with the words Abby Lee Dance Company embroidered on the left shoulder in silver thread. Super comfy.

After doing my makeup, I ran downstairs and sat down at the breakfast bar. My mom smiled at me. "Ready for the competition?" She asked me, handing me a bowl filled with oatmeal and bananas and raisins. Not my favorite, but it would fill me up.

"Ready as I'll ever be!" I said, grinning. I spooned some of the oatmeal into my mouth.

"That's what I like to hear," my mom said. "Now, I know that Jill's probably telling Kendall all about how she needs to beat you and whoever's competing from Candy Apples. But I'm not gonna tell you that. You just need to do your best, and the rest will follow. You've worked so hard for this, and I can't imagine you getting anything other than first place."

I grinned. "Thanks, mom. Make sure not to get too mad at the other moms today if they're awful to you."

"I'll try. But I make no promises. If those women say anything about you, they're going down," she said, laughing. "Go pack a bag with your shoes and everything in it. Also, bring a phone charger - it's gonna be a long bus ride and I don't want you getting bored cause your phone died."

I nodded, running back upstairs and packing my trusty dance bag once I got there:

- hair ties
- curler
- flat iron
- BOBBY PINS!
- hairbrush
- hairspray
- jazz shoes (tan)
- water bottle
- extra money
- phone + charger

I zipped up my bag and smiled. I was ready.

~

We were told by Abby the day before to meet at the studio before we all left. When I got there, I saw Chloe and Paige already waiting at the front.

"Hey!" I said, waving.

Chlo broke out into a grin as soon as she saw me, and Paige said, "Hey, Hailey!" as I approached.

"I'm so nervous. Feel how fast my heart is beating." I said, putting my hand to my heart.

Chloe put her hand where mine had just been and felt my heart. She nodded. "Yeah. You definitely need to calm down a little bit." She said, laughing.

Paige got a thoughtful look on her face. "Maybe you need a pre-performance ritual. Y'know, to sort of get your nerves under control."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Maybe like, a handshake or something? We can all make one up or something later if you want!" Chloe chimed in.

Just then, Maddie joined our little circle. "Hey, Mads!" I said.

"What'd I miss?" She asked casually.

"Hailey's super nervous about her solo. Any suggestions?" Chlo asked.

Maddie nodded. "What I like to do before competitions is to just sort of get in my own zone. I listen to music, read...anything that can get my mind off the competition before we actually get there."

I nodded. "That might work! Thanks, Maddie."

"No problem!" She said.

Just then, Abby burst through the front doors of the building with a suitcase in her right hand, Gianna following behind her. "Alright, girls! Let's get on the bus!"