Eternity

"What?" I whispered looking at Xander. My heart was beating a thousand miles a minute. I had heard that right, right?

"Shit. Stupid wolf." He mumbled before sighing. "I was going to tell you."

"I'm your mate?" I asked wanting him to look at me. To look me in the eye. When he did I held in my gasp at the many emotions swirling in those blue eyes. This time I could see only flakes of gold. Like they were both there. Both present.

"Yes you are." He whispered.

I got off him and moved away. My mind decided to kick in then. I hated over thinking but I always found myself sinking into it. Why hadn't he told me all this time if he knew? Why had he made me think he was mated to someone else?

"Is this some game to you?" I asked looking at him.

"What are you talking about?"

"First it was the whole wolf thing, then you keeping the fact that we have a way to save Marina and now this. These are things I needed to know and you kept them from me. I had to find out the first one on my own and something tells me if it wasn't for Xerxes you wouldn't have told me the other two."

"I was going to eventually."

"When?!"

"When all this was over. When I was completely sure you were safe." He yelled making my anger rise.

"You sound just like him." I scoffed. "This is something both of you need to realize. Secrets don't help achieve anything."

"Don't compare me to your dad Melaine." He growled.

"No? Then stop acting like him. Keeping me in the dark just leaves me unprepared for whatever you're trying to keep me safe from. I'm not a child that you can hide things from. I can take care of myself." I yelled.

"I never said you couldn't."

"Well you're treating me like I can't. Give me one good reason why you didn't tell me we were mates and don't you dare say it was for my safety. Because I can't think of how knowing who my soul mate is could possibly make me unsafe."

He looked down and didn't answer. He didn't have one. Of course he didn't.

"I have been going out of my mind with guilt for weeks. Because I thought I was falling for someone else's soul mate. All the glances and the touches and the tension. All the longing has been driving me insane because I was so convinced that I was the other woman. I was starting to consider and accept being the other woman of a relationship written in the stars, and I HATED MYSELF FOR IT."

"Mel..."

"I can't do this right now."

"Please just..."

"Goodnight Alexander." I said turning and heading up stairs. I walk as fast as I can to my room, locking the door and falling face first onto my bed.

Did they seriously see me as some fragile little damsel that couldn't handle the truth? What did he think that if he told me I'd be so lovesick I wouldn't concentrate? That I couldn't protect myself? If my dad had told me what I was I would have known how to control my powers and protect myself by now. If Xander had told me he was the stupid white wolf I wouldn't have been going crazy thinking of who it was I needed to trust the first days.

If he had told me we were mates I wouldn't have been put through all that emotional turmoil of holding myself back and reprimanding myself for wanting what was already mine. He's supposed to be my other half and was okay with me thinking he belonged to someone else. Was okay with being away from me for so long. He's a freaking alpha and kept his distance. Maybe the mate bond wasn't as strong as the books said.