Dragon

Hailey came to get me from my room and led me to a dining room where I found Logan, Carlton and the little girl, who was named after a flower, already sitting with the table set. I sat down opposite Carton who was next to the girl whose name I really needed to remember. Logan and Hailey sat at the heads of the table and there was an empty seat beside me.

"What happened to your eye?" I asked Carlton noticing his black eye.

"Nothing." He grumbled looking down at his plate.

"Hope I'm not too late." A voice said behind me making me turn to the door.

There stood a god among men. Okay I'm exaggerating. This was Carlton's twin. Up close and in person they looked alike but tiny features made it easy to tell them apart. His skin was tanned like he's spent the last couple years playing in the sun, unlike Carlton who looked like he was allergic to sunlight. Okay probably exaggerating that too, Carlton wasn't pale.

Apart from the obvious white hair and scar to tell them apart, this Black twin looked taller and his features were rougher. Like he was chiselled and his brother was smoothed out. He had a huge smile on his face with two very prominent dimples. Snapping out of my little staring trance I faced forward.

"Xander what a surprise. We weren't expecting you until tomorrow afternoon." Hailey gushed standing up and hugging him.

She didn't seem entirely surprised. I expected a reunion after 5 years to be more jumpy or tear filled. Or maybe Carlton really was her favorite.

"Hey mom. I got an early flight. Wanted to surprise everyone. I got in about 30 minutes ago." He said making Carlton scoff.

"You sure it's everyone you wanted to surprise?" Carlton whispered.

"Nice eye." Xander smirked making Carlton glare at him.

"Boys behave. Mel this is my son Alexander. Xander this is Melaine, Richard's daughter." Hailey introduced as Xander sat down next to me.

"Hi." He smiled stretching out his hand.

"Hey." I said taking it. When our hands touched a felt a shock and quickly pulled it away from him.

"Are you okay sweetie?" Hailey asked.

"Yeah. Wasn't expecting the static." I whispered giving a small smile.

The dinner went well with Hailey and Logan telling embarrassing stories of the boys and of my dad making me laugh along with them. I found myself relaxing in their presence and getting comfortable. After dinner a two layered chocolate cake was brought out. We cut it and they sang happy birthday and I almost cried. They were trying to make things feel normal and I appreciated it. After that everyone retired to bed.

Walking into my room I found two boxes on my bed. The first one I opened had a charm bracelet in it. It had three charms hanging off it spaced out perfectly. It had a wolf head, a phoenix and a knife. There wasn't any note on it but I found myself smiling and slipping it on. The second one had an amulet in it. A symbol I didn't recognise carved into a red crystal. It had a note that I found myself picking up.

'I was given this the day after you were given to me and told to give it to you on your twenty first. I wish I was there to do it in person and I wish I could contact you. Never take it off after tonight no matter what. Know I'm okay. Remember, the dragon is a friend; trust him and no one else. I love you pumpkin.

-Dad.'

I closed it and held it to my chest. He was okay. Thank God. Dragon? I wonder who that was.

.........................

August 3rd, 2018

I met the him today. I was wondering around the woods near forest city when he approached me. It's the first summer since I got her that I've spent away from Mel. I've never liked leaving her alone. Each time I have I try to be away for no more than a week. With every species readying for war he's the only one I trust with my daughter's safety. He is her protector after all. He told me he'd be able to teach Mel how to use her powers. How to control them.