Kabanata 13

Abby

"AUNTIE ABBY! AUNTIE ABBY!"

Groaning, I slowly opened my eyes to the ear-shattering sound of Shawn's voice calling my name.

"Auntie, gising!" Shawn shouted cheerfully, jolting me from my slumber. Napasulyap ako sa orasan sa bedside table ko at napagtantong alas-sais--kwarentay-singko pa lang ng umaga.

I buried my head back into the pillow, but my nephew was persistent. He jumped and bounced onto the bed, his little feet making soft thumping sounds on the mattress. "Auntie Abby, gising! " he said, grinning down at me with his zestful smile. "You don't wanna miss breakfast."

"I'm a grown-up, Shawn," I weakly said. "I could miss breakfast and be fine after."

"But Dad told me to get you!" Shawn pouted.

Napangiti ako sa napaka-cute na ekspresyon ni Shawn. "I need to have a serious conversation with your Dad about how to be a good guest, and we'd start with how to not send his little goblin to disturb the sleeping beauty."

Shawn giggled. "Basta bumangon ka na, Auntie! Dad and Granma are making raspberry pancakes! Yey!!!"

Hindi ko rin napigilang tumawa. "That sounds like a celebration. Sige, bababa na."

I sat up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes, my mind slowly registering to the day ahead. I had a brunch date with my elder sister later, and after that, I needed to go back to the mansion to check on Cal and the mess we'd left behind in the living room.

It would be a strange sight seeing Veric again fully-clothed after what I'd just seen last night: his exquisite tattoos, hard muscles, and big long co--

"Bilisan mo, Auntie!"

"Alright, alright," I said, giving in to Shawn's infectious energy. "I'm up."

The light in my nephew's eyes danced with excitement. He jumped off the bed and landed on the floor heavily, eager to start the day.

I couldn't help but smile at my nephew's enthusiasm, grateful that he seemed to be looking well. I'd be asking Kuya Colbrin how was Shawn's treatments so far. I stretched my arms above my head, feeling the warmth of the sun peeking through the curtains.

Shawn was basically buzzing with energy ahead of me as we walked through the tight hallway of the house.

"While Dad and Granma are making pancakes, Granpa and your boyfriend are making waffles with bacon and eggs! Ano po pala pinagkaiba ng pancakes sa waffles? Maple syrup din po ba yung sauce nila?"

"Woah." Natigilan ako bigla sa isang salitang nabanggit ni Shawn. "What boyfriend? I don't have a boyfriend," natutuwang sambit ko. "Bakit mo nasabing--"

I wasn't able to finish my sentence because just as Shawn and I emerged from the hallway, my gaze immediately shot into the kitchen where I found Veric--only in his white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows--flipping a waffle pan at the stove while Dad was busy cooking bacon and cracking eggs next to him.

"Auntie Abby is awake!" Shawn announced as we entered the cramped kitchen.

Veric turned his head in my direction.

He smiled at me in greeting, which was weird. Veric Mavros don't smile. I didn't know what he was playing at but seeing him standing there with my family, being domestic and shit, made me nervous.

This beautiful bastard wants something.

"Darling, can you help Veric prepare the waffles please," Mom requested which I did.