James Norrington - I need to show you something

Somewhere only we know - Keane

In your usual spot by the sea, you watched the waves lap over one another, gently covering your feet. At this time James would have come to meet you to go for a walk on the beach. Hours had gone by and he hadn't arrived. Why you hadn't left ages ago was beyond your belief, you held out hope that he would arrive.

You finally gave up, hauling yourself up onto your feet, and starting to go on the walk by yourself. About halfway, you decided to perch on a sea wall looking into the distance.

"Where is he?" you sighed, trailing away your thoughts.

A few days ago, he'd told you that someone's father had suited his daughter up to him, despite you both being in love with each other. You tried to hide your disappointment, knowing full well there was probably nothing either of you could do. All you wanted to do was scream and tell James to reject her, to leave her, to just say no to her and tell them you were already with someone. But, you never did. Knowing this marriage would amplify his success in the navy due to her father's renowned accomplishments.

Once again, you got up off your feet, seeing two figures walking up a familiar pathway, they both stopped taking a break and sat on one of the benches near by. Not many people knew about this pathway, just you and James, and your parents who had shown you when you were a child. Etching your initials on a tree, a few months later they passed away. The memories of this place kept them alive in your mind, and so you shared it with James because of how much he meant to you. Both of them were wrapped up in each other, but you couldn't get enough you wanted to know who they were and how they knew.

Picking up the hem of your skirt, you ran along the shoreline, coming toward a cliff face nearby. They were still there. As you walked slowly with your head bowed, shielded by the rocks, you could hear their voices.

"I need to show you something," the man said, offering his hand to her. "After you, Miss."

"Why thank you, Norrington,"

"Please, call me James, I hate the formalities with you,"

"Just being myself," she giggled, and your anger burned.

They continued walking up the cliff, once they were turning the corner at the top, you made your way up the path yourself. There they were. James stood at the pool in the middle of the trees, right next to the tree your initials, and your parents were into. She had her feet in the pool, wading in them, dirtying the place you often went. You felt your eyes fall to the ground in sadness, watching as he rubbed his hand on her back, smiling at her, laughing. Enjoying her company.

It hit you hard that he had shown you the place, only you two knew now your parents were gone. How he hadn't come on the walk with you because he'd gone earlier to meet with her and show her.

As you approached the pool, you stiffened your facial expressions, hardening up to reality.

"James," you said, looking as his eyes stunned at the sight of you. "What are you doing here?"

"He came to show me this place, it's gorgeous," she chimed in, looking at you so innocently

This wasn't her fault, but at the time she was divider.

"I wasn't talking to you, I was asking James. What are you doing here?"

"I-"

"This is our place, where we go, where I went before my parents passed away. I asked you specifically that no one else got to come here, that no one else gets to see this place. This is my last memory of them, and now this... It's already hard enough on me to let them go and let you go. Now I see you here, with her, your fiance or your wife, and I'm not that person, she is. What made you think I wouldn't notice?"

"I'm sorry, I really am,"

"No, you're not. You wouldn't have done it. This... this has changed you,"

"Nothing has changed me, Y/N,"

"Everything has changed you. This was meant to be somewhere only we knew,"

"I should go..." she said, she knew she was the problem but couldn't help it.

"It's not even your fault, but yeah, that would be great,"

She stood up, and walked away.

"The first time I took you to this place was five months of us being friends, when we came her we sat by this pool. I was crying about my parents, you wrapped your arms around me and held me tight. We walked around for a bit once I'd calmed down, and you told me you were in love with me. I felt the same way. You kissed me, my first kiss. Here with you. This place is more than just a place, it's filled with memories of people that are slipping away from me. Now, now it's you. Someone else is coming here with you, and it's not me,"

"Y/N, there's a reason I took her up here,"

"It better be a good reason, I'm not in the mood for you to make excuses,"

"If you'd have come moments later, you would have heard me telling her I couldn't be married to her. I wanted to show her the memories we had here, and how there was someone else I loved, and someone else I wanted to be married to,"

"Who?"

"You, Y/N. I know I was wrong showing her this place, but there was no other way to make it more real. I love you so much, I'm sorry..."