Chapter 3

Maribel was still trying to calm herself down enough to think logically. She couldn't. Reality had finally set in on the horrors of the past two years, especially being back here...

She heard a small sound. Logically, she began to worry that the fire had caused this place to be structurally unsound. She also worried that her stepfather had found another way into this place.

She sat as still as possible, waiting. Again, she heard a faint creaking sound... Then again. Surely, someone else was in this opera house!

Damn. Erik thought as he tried to make his way toward the sound of someone breathing quietly. His senses were incredible. He could see, hear, and sense everything. However, his body was failing. As he moved toward the sound, his feet faltered beneath him. His vision was hazy, hallucinations and delusions surely setting in. One last fight.

Despite the battle cry in his head, he lost his footing and with a yelp, fell to the floor.

Maribel sprung up from where she was crouched to go toward the sound. Her stepfather had to have found her. She wouldn't go with him again. She had to fight back. Grabbing a small piece of a metal beam off of the floor, she made her way toward the sound.

She crept ever so quietly, further and further into the opera house. Her heartbeat quickened with every step. She would fight back this time.

One last fight... for my only love.... my opera house. Erik found the strength to rise and ready himself with his Punjab lasso.

He heard the person approaching and swiftly cast his lasso around the individual's neck. It was too dark, and his vision was hazy. He held the lasso tightly, and hissed, "Give me one reason that I should let you live."

"Please, monsieur," Maribel's voice squeaked.

"Who sent you?" Erik wheezed losing strength by the second.

"No one. I was running away... I just needed a place to hide. I'm sorry," she gasped as he tightened the lasso. 

"You mean..." he was weak. He hadn't spoken in almost two years. It was difficult to even speak, "You weren't send by someone to kill me."

"No! What are you talking about? I was running away from my stepfather."

He released his grip on her as he had no more strength. He collapsed to the floor immediately, and Maribel gasped. "Monsieur!"

"Leave!" his voice croaked. 

"My stepfather is out there! I can't! Please! Maybe we can help each other?"

"How?" Erik's voice was no louder than a whisper.

"If you can help me hide out for a while, I can take care of you. You're obviously sick."

"You wouldn't want to help me if you knew who I was."

"I doubt that. Please, monsieur, you have my word. "

"Fine, but know, Mademoiselle, that you have just made a deal with the devil." Erik's voice hissed through the darkness, sending chills up Maribel's spine.