Chapter 18

Anna was growing beautifully. Before they knew it, she was a month old. Meanwhile, Erik and Maribel went about their lives, still caring deeply about each other, so deeply that neither of them would speak a word of their true feelings.

However, danger lurked closely. Having a midwife in the lair was a necessary risk when Anna was born. But now, Gaston had assumed that Maribel would have given birth and required the assistance of a midwife. Like any "worried" father about his wayward daughter, he tracked down all the local midwives and questioned them. With the right sum of money, Marie, the woman who had delivered Anna, agreed to show Gaston to the lair.

Meanwhile, Erik and Maribel had made the evening a special occasion. Maribel had become briefly ill, but now that she was back on her feet, they would enjoy a meal to celebrate. Together, they prepared a delectable meal and dressed for the special occasion.

As the two were finishing up their dinner, Erik heard a noise. Generally, noises didn't cause alarm since there were now other people living with him, but this felt different.

"Maribel, did you hear that?"

"I did," she said quietly, "Let me go check on Anna."

She went to Anna's room and picked her up out of the crib.

She returned to the dinner table. Erik looked nervous, "I think someone has found their way into the labyrinth."

"It's probably my stepfather... Oh, Erik. I'm sorry."

"Nonsense. Go hide with Anna in my room."

Once his girls were tucked away safely, Erik prepared to fight whoever was after them. He retrieved his Punjab lasso and waited.

He caught sight of two pairs of feet and that's when he attacked. He threw the lasso around the man's neck and grabbed the woman around the neck.

"Monsieur, this is a mistake! I'm simply looking for my daughter, wayward girl that she is... You see she's a bit loose and got herself into some trouble."

"Don't!" Erik hissed. "I know the truth."

"Oh, do you now?" the man laughed, "You know, when her mother died, she said that she would ruin your life if she ever got the chance. I guess she's already trapped you."

"Not my Maribel. You're trying to get inside my head. It won't work, Monsieur. And you," he spoke to the midwife, "You betrayed our trust."

She looked dejectedly at her feet. She really thought she was helping find a missing girl. Now, she realized what chaos she caused.

"I want the girl and then I'll be on my way. No one needs to know that you're still alive."

Erik shook his head, "I won't give her up."

Gaston laughed, "You're going to give up everything for a whore and a bastard child? Seems stupid of you.... Unless you love her?"

Blush crept up his neck thinking about Maribel and Anna.

"Monsieur, it's sad really. You're hideous. She will never love you in return just like Christine."

"Leave," Erik hissed, tightening the lasso, "Leave with your life and never return."

Deciding that the Phantom did have the power to end his life right there, Gaston agreed. Quickly, he and Marie took their leave. When it seemed like they had completely left, Erik went into his room and locked the door behind him.

He raced to Anna and Maribel who were hidden in a corner of the room. He embraced the both of them and kissed Maribel's cheek without thinking.

She blushed.

"Come, we must gather our things and leave. If they know where we are, we are no longer safe."