Chapter 12

Maribel woke to find a meal sitting on the table near the bed with a note from Erik: 

I've gone for supplies. Will return shortly.

-Erik

She sat up and began to eat what he had left for her. Not too long after she woke, Erik returned. 

"Erik?" she called out. 

He pushed opened the black curtains and entered silently. He carried a paper bundle under his arm. 

"Erik, I'm-" she was going to apologize again, but he cut her off. 

"I have purchased you some nightgowns. I also spoke with a midwife who recommended you drink this herbal tea. I told her what happened to you, and she recommended that you remain on bedrest until the baby is born. She will also be available to deliver the baby."

"Erik, thank you."

"How did you think I would react? Did you think I was so cruel that I would throw you out on the streets?"

"No, I was just scared-"

"Scared of what? Of me? Do you only see me as a monster too? I thought that you and I had moved past that..."

"Not scared of you, Erik," Maribel pulled the covers up to her chin as tears began to form in her eyes, "I don't know what to say to make you not angry with me."

"You could've said that you were expecting a month ago," he grumbled. "Now, I thought I said before that you need to take off that corset."

Maribel stood and nearly fell back onto the bed from the dizziness that consumed her, but Erik's arms caught her. 

"Can I help you?" he spoke a little more tenderly than before. 

She nodded as tears streamed down her face. "I'm scared," she whispered. 

"It will be alright..."

Erik untied her corset, and she let out a breath. It wasn't until he was helping her out of her her outer layers that he realized what he was doing. She stood before him in her undergarments (though still covering most of her skin modestly), and she trusted him. A woman who had been taken advantage of time and time again trusted him. 

He was still upset with her, but seeing how fragile she was, that feeling wouldn't last long. Finally, he handed her the beautiful white, lacy nightgown and turned away as she slipped into it. After he made sure she was settled back into bed, he went to make her a cup of the herbal tea. 

Once she was sitting comfortably with the cup in her hands, he turned on his heel to leave, "Erik, please. I know you're upset with me and rightfully so, but..." 

"But what, Maribel?" he asked. He was hurt, but it was a different hurt than Christine.

"I just loved how things were going, and I didn't want to lose you. I wasn't sure how you felt about small children or the fact that I'm expecting a bastard child... I don't know you that well yet, and I'd like to, but..."

"It's alright, Maribel. It will be at least. I just need some time to myself." With nothing more to say, he left her laying alone.