40

Anita

I shift in my spot, my black veil doing nothing against the sounds of a multitude various of children crying. Michael smiles awkwardly, bringing his tea to his mouth, the sides of his lips twitching downward, betraying his dismay.

"He was fine, you know," He says finally. "Before you. An Admiral, the King's finest, a good, successful man."
I suppose he sees me as Lance's ruin. He's not entirely wrong.

"Before he cared about me, you mean. I am well aware of my husband's accomplishments. I knew him before you did, after all. Before he was your friend, he was my betrothed."

Michael narrows his eyes and then closes them with a good-natured smile. "Please forgive my impudence. It's just, he's such a straightforward, straight-laced man. He went from not admitting I was a friend to committing a crime of passion. You understand why I have some concerns."

"Alleged. Alleged crime of passion." I nod, looking down at the amber liquid in the cup. Michael is courteous, but the opposite of Lance, as he demonstrates time and time again.

Michael gives me a small smile. "Alleged," he repeats carefully. "So what brings you to our home,"

"I would like you to be a character witness. As you said, this is a crime of passion something my husband lacks the capacity for."

Michael glances up at me and pauses. He's surprised. He thought this was my doing, I'm sure. "I'll be glad to help him in any way I can."

"I am glad you said that because I also need you and your wife to lie to the council."

He chokes on his tea, clearing his throat, and setting down his cup. "I'm sorry?"

"I will recall the real events of that night, after which I will ask you again. My father has abused me since I was a child."

Michael frowns deeply, looking away. "Mrs. Mendoza—"

I lift my skirt, revealing my scars. "He did this to me. He intended to harm me, he broke into my home. A scuffle occurred, and in the end, my father lay dead. I tried to assert it was an accident, but my brother used his sway to have my husband jailed anyway."

Michael tries to tear his eyes away from my scars but can't. I understand the morbid fascination, the one intent on creating more.

"My husband protected me, defending me and our home. But the jury won't see it that way. So I am going to claim it was an accident like I did that night."

Michael scoffs. "But you just told me that's a lie."

"Yes. Because self-defense still means my father was intentionally killed. His career would be over, and he would be hung. If it was an accident, all of this can go away with a very hefty fine."

Michael goes pale, his face still. "You cannot be serious. If you are caught committing perjury it's the noose for you too."

I shrug. "I do not wish for you to commit perjury per se. There is a letter dated a week ago, somewhere in your study. It contains correspondence from Lance stating that his father-in-law will come over, and he wants to impress him with stories of the war and show him an old pistol."

'There is another, saying his father-in-law canceled, and he is glad because he could not find that pistol."

Michael glances around. "In this home? But I never—"

"But you did. And it's there. And you will happen upon it. It is not a lie. You received a letter, but you were busy with your newborn child and was thinking of your friend who now faces the gallows. You came across it. This meeting with me was to let me know what you had found."

Michael gulps visibly. "How did you get in my house?"

I wave my hand. "Never mind that. All I ask is that on the trial, you provide these letters and assert, in your expert opinion, that the gun could've been faulty, due to it having taken missing for so long."

Michael is quiet for a long time. I am unnerved. It's important I have his testimony. After a while, Michel takes his tea to his lips.

"Mrs. Mendoza?"
"Hm?"
"I seem to have received some letters from your husband, that support your claim."

I grin. "Is that so? Sir, you must show this evidence to the jury! Perhaps we may free my husband after all."

He hums with a nod. "Yes, you're quite right. We must save him from the gallows. If only I had seen it before!"

"No matter, Sir. At least you have seen it now, Thank you so much, for your help."

Michael just smiles. "Anything for my best friend, and his wife, who I will be watching carefully in his stead. Will you be alright on your own?"

It's his polite way of saying get the hell out now. I just nod and shrug behind my veil of black. "Yes. I am comforted by the knowledge we may yet free him from his unjust imprisonment."

Michael, ever the gentleman, walks me to the door. Before he opens it, he leans down. "He always said you were crafty. I never knew to what degree."

He opens the door, and I step out. "To the degree it suits me, sir."

"I see."

"All the best to you and Serena. I hope my husband and I will be able to visit you soon."

Michael smiles. "It is my hope as well. I fear though, you have begun a dalliance with a fearsome companion."

"And who might that be?"

Michael glanced behind me, ensuring we are not heard. "The devil."

My lips turn up. "If we must be acquainted, than we must."

Michael narrows his eyes.

"You must pick your side Michael. I know you are his best friend but I also know you to be a dutiful man. You can assist us. Or you can do nothing and align yourself with that man who's life I intend to thoroughly ruin."