43

Anita

Word from our lawyers is that the trial date has been set. After a month of waiting, we have a trial date. He is being charged for murder the sentence for which is death by hanging. I arrange my clothes carefully. I am going to get him out. If I don't, he will hang from the neck till dead.

"Are you in need of a sanitary napkin?" Mrs. Hellman asks as she assists me with dressing.

I frown as I mentally prepare myself for what I'm going to say. "Why would I?"

"It's meant to be your monthly," she glanced over her shoulder. "A few days in, actually."

I blink, and the next thing I know I'm at the trial. I glance around, confused, all eyes on me.

"Mrs. Mendoza?" The judge prompts me. How on earth did I get here and what was I saying? How am I here? How did I miss so much time? I look down at the notes in front of me.

"Pardon me," I murmur. "As I was saying, Carlos Castillo has all the motive in the world to have my husband jailed. He would like to receive full inheritance —"

My mouth keeps moving but I am unsure of what I'm saying. I've spent weeks preparing for this, so of course I recite my speech from memory but my mind is racing. I've missed my cycle.

I never miss my cycle, I've been regular since I began it in the spring of my 13th year. Except one other time. When I was with child. So then...I am once again with child, aren't I? Is that possible? It couldn't.

They haven't brought him out yet. This is just a pre trial, opening statements for now.

"Mrs. Mendoza, are you sure you're fit to be in a courtroom. It may be a tumultuous affair that could end in your husbands early demise. Are you sure you're capable of being here?"

Am I capable? "If you were so concerned with my state after my husband's as you so elegantly put it, early demise, you would drop this ridiculous case in which the only two people actually present maintain was nothing more than accident. But since we must go through with the charade I will remain present...your honor."

"A note," the judge looks over his glasses. "Being disrespectful and following it up with your honor will still get you held in contempt of court."

"It's noted, your honor."

It goes by rather smoothly and a court date is set. Tomorrow. It's good. It'll give Lance time to read the letter I've sent.

I implore him to use his physical strength to overpower the guards. That he is an admiral and a large, skilled man, surely he could escape if he truly wished to. I doubt he would, but I could at least try my best.