Chapter 22

Having been through prep with Flavius, Venia, and Octavia numerous times, it should just be an old routine to survive. But I haven't anticipated the emotional ordeal that awaits me. At some point during the prep, each of them bursts into tears at least twice, and Octavia pretty much keeps up a running whimper throughout the morning. It turns out they really have become attached to me, and the idea of my returning to the arena has undone them. Combine that with the fact that by losing me they'll be losing their ticket to all kinds of big social events, particularly my wedding, and the whole thing becomes unbearable. I try to picture how they'd react if they found out we'd already been married in a dusty, old single-story home in the Seam. Not well, I imagine. The idea of being strong for someone else having never entered their heads, I find myself in the position of having to console them. Since I'm the person going in to be slaughtered, this is somewhat annoying.

It's interesting, though, when I think of what Peeta said about the attendant on the train being unhappy about the victors having to fight again. About people in the Capitol not liking it. I still think all of that will be forgotten once the gong sounds, but it's something of a revelation that those in the Capitol feel anything at all about us. They certainly don't have a problem watching children murdered every year. But maybe they know too much about the victors, especially the ones who've been celebrities for ages, to forget we're human beings. It's more like watching your own friends die. More like the Games are for those of us in the districts.

At some point, a strange Capitol man comes in to conduct a medical evaluation. This seems particularly peculiar to me. We didn't have one last year, but then again, last year we didn't have adults in various stages of deterioration – whether it be from drink or drugs, old age or trauma. He takes my vitals and draws some blood to check for something. For what, I don't know, nor do I care.

By the time Cinna shows up about an hour later, I am irritable and exhausted from comforting the prep team, especially because their constant tears are reminding me of the ones undoubtedly being shed at home. I'm also feeling a bit faint after losing a bit of blood. Standing there in my thin robe with my stinging skin and heart, I know I can't bear even one more look of regret. So the moment he walks in the door I snap, "I swear if you cry, I'll kill you here and now."

Cinna just smiles. "Had a damp morning?"

"You could wring me out," I reply.

"Don't worry – I always channel my emotions into my work. That way I don't hurt anyone but myself." Cinna puts his arm around my shoulder and leads me into lunch. "But for now we've got other business."

We go in to find Peeta, Portia, and Haymitch already waiting there for us. They look concerned, save for Peeta who appears more confused than anything.

"We had to know for sure, Katniss," says Cinna.

This is odd, I think, until I see the strange Capitol man from earlier waiting in the corner. He gestures for Peeta and I to follow him, surely just a continuation of the medical tests from earlier. He stops us in a sterile room and invites us both to sit down, introducing himself as Dr. Aurum.

"Good afternoon to you both. I'm sorry to interrupt your time with your stylists, but I have been requested to conduct and inform you both of your blood test results," he says. "Everything seems to be in order for you, Mr. Mellark, but there was a discrepancy in your tests, Ms. Everdeen."

Discrepancy? I have no idea what he could mean, and Peeta's face mirrors my own confusion.

"Is she sick?" he asks.

"No, not at all. But, tell me, Ms. Everdeen: Are you sexually active?" asks the doctor.

My cheeks flush, but I see no point in lying, so I say, "Yes."