10. 𝖊𝖉𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖉'𝖘 𝖆𝖗𝖒𝖞

When Brida came to Saltwic with news of Ragnar's death, Finan and Osferth had been sparring outside the walls.
Sihtric and Ghylena however, had to be fetched from their room, interrupted by Finan's raucous knocking, "HEY! Lovebirds, put some clothes on! We have a visitor."

Watching on as Finan comforted Uhtred, Ghylena shared a look of concern with Sihtric; from the look on his face, she knew he thought this to be Skade's curse striking yet again. That witch had taken too much from them all, and now Lena knew there could be no outcome other than her death. If it was not Uhtred who killed the blonde bitch, it would be her.

<>

Marching up to the gates at Aylesbury, intending on collecting an army from Alfred to fetch Skade, Ghylena raised an eyebrow at the less-than-warm welcome presented to them. A line of spears and shields greeted them, and it was some time before Steappa relented in letting all of their group enter the city— on one condition: they had to leave their weapons at the gates.

Lining up to unburden themselves of blades, Ghylena's turn came after Finan's and before Sihtric's.

Smiling at the soldier who stood awaiting her weapons, she handed him first her bow and quiver which she had collected from Shaeda's saddle.
Next came her trusty axe, which she spun in the air with grace before dropping it in his arms.
The sword Sihtric had gifted her all those years ago followed, it's blade glinting in the afternoon sun.
Then it was both the daggers at her back and thigh, to the sound of giggles from Finan and the huffing soldier who wobbled under her weaponry.

Smiling slightly at Sihtric over her shoulder, she saw him shake his head at her antics, and it was then that she remembered the needle-like knife in her hair; twisting the lone braid in her hands, she dropped the pretty silver dagger inside her quiver.

Sihtric stared, "How long has that been in there?"

"Ghylena, stop playing with the man." Uhtred chastised.

"Lord Aethelred said no weapons, Uhtred, and I wouldn't dare defy such a man." She mocked.

"Lena," Sihtric's tone teased as he stood up to drop his weapons next, nearly as many as her own, "Sarcasm is unladylike."

Ghylena pointed to him as she stared at Uhtred, "He's just as bad!"

"How can you both be married and act like such children?" Uhtred shook his head.

Finan shot in, "I think that may be exactly why they married, Lord."

Uhtred's comment about children had made her wince but Finan had saved her from darker thoughts with his usual self. She did her best to keep up.
"Shut up, Finan. At least Sihtric doesn't have to pay a woman to sleep with him." Ghylena smacked him upside the head as they walked through the gates.

"Enough, you two." Uhtred grabbed both their cloaks, dragging them like a mother cat would it's kittens, with the pair leering at each other like idiots as they laughed the whole time.

<>

Osferth sat with Sihtric and Ghylena whilst Edward made his proposal to Uhtred. Having no doubt that Aethelflaed and Edward's presence together had made her friend uncomfortable, a reminder of his parentage, Ghylena smoothed down the cloak on his shoulders and passed him some ale.

"Eat, Osferth," Sihtric spoke, eyes soft at Lena's motherly display, their loss still echoing, "You will need your strength."

Ghylena studied him, then looked at his royal half-siblings.
Call me crazy, but Osferth looks more alike to his sister than Edward, probably those blue eyes that make him look like a newborn puppy.