12. 𝖙𝖎𝖉𝖒𝖆𝖓, 𝖙𝖍𝖞𝖗𝖆, 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆 𝖋𝖎𝖗𝖊

They had rowed back to Coccham, retaking Gisela's hall and home without a shed of blood. The Bishop Erkenwald was now leaving for Winchester, and upon Uhtred's orders they were to join him, pretending to act as a guard. He and Osferth would follow soon after they killed Skade, and minus one curse.
Arriving at Winchester, Steappa had allowed them to enter, though not before a tedious delay. Sihtric, Finan and Ghylena now stood at the stables.

"Is that Aethelwold the sword-Dane I see?" Finan mocked, "Looks like you've mislaid an eye."

"I see you perfectly, Finan. Though I do not see your master."

"Unsurprising." Ghylena muttered.

"Uhtred. Where is he?" Aethelwold's face was marred and grisly, but Ghylena thought he looked just as ugly as he always had.

"Standing at your blind-side, perhaps." Finan threw, and Sihtric huffed a laugh.

Moving on towards the steps to the palace, Ghylena moved to approach the Bishop Erkenwald.
"Bishop!" She put on a sickeningly sweet voice, "Bishop, pardon me, but I heard from the men that there is to be a wedding?"

"Edward is to marry, yes. A sweet girl, like yourself."

Ghylena smiled wider, hoping to hide the disgust in her eyes, "Yes, of course. Only it is that I love a good wedding— I myself have found great peace in my marriage. I was wondering if it would be acceptable were my friends and I to stay a short while? Just long enough to enjoy the celebrations, Lord, that is all."

The Bishop nodded, falling for her supplication, "You are welcome, Lady, I'm sure, as are your people."

"Many thanks to you, Bishop." Ghlyena smiled as serenely as she could as the man walked away.

Finan and Sihtric approached behind her then.
"Laying it on a bit thick, weren't we?" An Irish accent lilted.

Ghylena's bare grin dropped, her cheeks aching as she snipped, "Do you want the plan to work or not, Finan?"

Sihtric stood in front of her now, a small bouquet of pleasant flowers in hand. She sent him a questioning look, but his only reply was to reach into her hair and place the delicate flowers throughout her braids. She stared at him in awe.

"Awk, ye wee sap." Finan feigned disgust, before being jumped by the unforeseen arrival of Osferth.

"Walk with me, Lena. We are not needed for this part." Sihtric suggested, tucking the last bloom behind her ear.

Still entranced by her thoughtful husband, Ghylena about managed a nod before he smirked— enjoying his effect on her— and dragged her away by the hand.

<>

They had been walking and talking for most of the evening, and now night had come, and still they basked in each other's presence, content in their brief peace.
Emerging from a side street back into a main line, Sihtric was the first to spot Aethelwold and his men as they strutted towards Beocca's house.

Turning to look down at her, Sihtric kissed Lena's forward before ushering her forward, "Go, follow them, go!"

Nodding, Lena dashed after them, throwing a look behind her to see Sihtric running to alert Finan and the rest of their men. Resting her hand lightly at her stomach, Ghylena followed Aethelwold's band through the roads until they came upon Beocca's house.
Pyrlig appeared then, standing between the horde and their target.

"If it is not the disgraced, yet forgiven Lord Aethelwold, sword drawn. You have stopped, I see, outside this house. "

"You should show a little respect, Father Pyrlig." Aethelwold simpered.