13. 𝖆𝖒𝖇𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖙

They had waited by the house all night, watching the fire burn itself out with defeated looks on their faces.
Beocca was broken; he had not eaten, drank, or said a word in hours. Hild had tried to comfort him when dawn broke, whilst Finan had encouraged him to drink something.

"This fire did not just happen. It did not." Beocca had a wild look in his eyes.

Shaking out from under Sihtric's cloak, Ghylena took a shaky breath, her lungs still feeling the strain of last night's smoke.
"Tidman," She croaked, "It was Tidman."

Lena began coughing, and Sihtric fluttered around her in worry, stroking her back as he gave her some more water.

Finan looked on in a mess of confusion and concern, "'Tidman'? What happened?"

"He was harassing her again, wasn't her?" Beocca looked self-destructive.

"He upset her in the palace, so I offered to walk her home. I thought we'd be safe," Ghylena faltered in her guilt, "He followed us. Threw food and stones. I- I tried to stop him, closed the door after her, but he cornered me."

Ghylena looked to Sihtric for strength, finding only an ocean of chaos in his eyes.
"He had a knife, and I'd left my weapons at the palace. I should have brought them with me, but I wasn't thinking. I didn't think we'd need them. I was stupid. I remember him pinning me down, and I couldn't move, couldn't fight him off—"

Sihtric went stiff, "He didn't—"

"No, no!" Her eyes widened as she realised what it sounded like, recognising Finan's worried look as his jaw tensed, "No, he didn't... I swear. He knocked me out, and then I woke up and the house was already... I'm sorry, Father, I'm so, so sorry. I'm sorry."

<>

Uhtred had been imprisoned during the funeral, his pardon from Alfred revoked by Aelswith's order. Only when stood in the courtyard, about to be exiled from Wessex once more, did Uhtred make his speech in plain view of the rich and poor of Winchester. The entire city.
His speech worked, his pardon reimposed by Edward Rex, and then they were travelling yet again, journeying for Bedanford to face the armies of Cnut, Haesten and Brida.

They had made camp that night in Wicumb, taking note of Aethelwold's absence.
Edward, Uhtred and his inner circle, (including his 2 favourite priests), were gathered around their fire, eating a stew Osferth had made.

"This is good food, Osferth," Ghylena had praised him with a smile, "You make a better cook than me."

Sihtric snorted, "That is not an impressive feat."

"Seeing as I hunt the food, husband, I think it only fair that someone else prepares it." Ghylena nudged her knee with his.

"Sihtric is not much better at that than you, Lena," Finan chipped in.

"Perhaps we should get some help then..." Ghylena pondered.

"Perhaps we should just hire Finan as our maid." Sihtric joked.

"I'd rather suck my own toes after this battle than live with the two of you. I'd never get any sleep."

Uhtred laughed, Osferth went red, and Pyrlig chided Finan as Ghylena choked on her stew.

<>

The morning before battle, Uhtred had taken Edward to scout the forest— their chosen field of battle— whilst Lena's boys were sent to kill any potential spies on the roads.
Ghylena had taken her opportunity of peace and gone to the waterside, just beyond eyesight of the men of camp but within shouting distance, just in case.