𝟷

We're told that every story has a happy ending

We're told that every story has a happy ending. Every tunnel has a light in the end. We're told that everything will be okay in the end or everything will work out for us.

The truth is that people lie.

Not everything works out for everyone. In order for someone to be happy the other person has to suffer. It's how the universe works. An eye for an eye type of situation.

I turned up the volume of the music. It made my heart skip a beat because of the loudness of it. I had my headphones on and made sure the noise cancellation was on. I was on my morning jog and when I'm usually on these jogs I rethink my whole existence. It's a habit I have.

I checked the time on my phone as it read 8:00AM. I turned my phone off and took my headphones off. The noise of cars, birds chirping and people talking hit my ears instead of the music that was blasting just before. My chest was moving up and down quite fast, I kept running until I could barely breathe anymore.

I looked across the busy city street and there was a small store with flowers just outside it. The store caught my attention. I put my headphones around my neck so I didn't have to hold it, I looked at the road and no cars were coming my way. I quickly walked across the street and walked towards the store.

There was a man that sat there holding a coffee mug in both his hands. It was hot today but he wore clothes as if it had been snowing.

"Hello there young lady" He greeted me with the biggest smile on his face.

I returned the smile, "Hi there, how much are the roses down there?" I asked, pointing to the roses I liked.

"Ahh, for a beautiful young lady like yourself you should be given those roses, you shouldn't have to buy them for yourself." He shook his head as he stood up. He placed his coffee mug on the seat and started walking over to the roses.

He stared at the roses for a while until he reached out for a bundle of them. He picked them up and handed them to me.

"Here you are" He made sure I didn't drop them. "My gift to you sweetheart."

I smiled and shook my head, "No sir I can't just take them. Please tell me how much I owe you."

He refused to tell me the price. "You better be on your way, you seem like a busy woman."

He bent down to pick his coffee up. I waited for him to sit down so he could face me.

"Thank you" I smiled. "For the flowers and the kind smile." He returned the smile as I walked away from his tiny little store. The littlest things can change someone's day. I know this definitely changed mine.

The streets were busy and very noisy. When I reached my apartment I had to quickly take a shower and get ready to go over to the company. I usually kept the same routine everyday. I liked it that way even though it may be boring to some but I hated change.