15・❥・return to the unburied

Lucy

2009 words

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

All we ever wanted was everything

All we ever got was cold

Get up, eat jelly ♬♩♬

Sandwich bars, and barbed wire

Squash every week into a day

♬♩

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ: All we ever wanted was everything. Bauhaus

Chapter Fifteen. Return to the unburied

"One box of donuts, one scarf, one flask of tea with six teaspoons of sugar." George took a gulp of air before continuing, "One coat, a trashy magazine, and your suitcase. What do you think?"

"I think this is enough to last me two weeks at least," I said gratefully.

"Maybe I should take back the donuts. You're only allowed to be gone two days at most."

"Really? Are we that busy?" I exclaimed.

"No, Lucy. Of course not. Lockwood won't know what to do with himself if you aren't around." George coughed slightly and mumbled, "I suppose I'll miss you too... somewhat."

"I'll somewhat miss you as well, George," I laughed, wrapping him in a hug. "No experimenting on the skull while I'm gone and no burning any houses down."

"Hey!" George cried. "Burning down houses has always been your expertise, don't try and deflect your arsonist tendencies on me. Now go," he said shooing me out the door. "You'll miss your train otherwise."

"But I haven't said goodbye to Lockwood yet!"

"He's not here, safe travels!" George called out before swinging the door shut in my face.

Not here? Where on earth was he? I stared around in dismay hoping I would see him striding up the street at any moment with his long coat, dishevelled hair, and wide grin I'd come to be quite fond of.

I hopped from one foot to the other in anticipation. Seconds dragged into minutes, and I knew I couldn't wait around any longer. The walk to the train station took twice as long as it should have, as I did a double take towards every tall brunette boy that passed me.

I began to feel a complete sense of hopelessness as I boarded my train. How was I supposed to leave without saying goodbye? It felt utterly wrong and I began to resent Mary's letter that sat folded in my pocket. I considered climbing off the train but held myself back. Stop it, Lucy. You're being foolish. This is the kind of behaviour you would expect from a homesick child and you are almost an adult. Quit sulking and sit back down.

I leaned my head against the glass panel and surveyed the platform below. Businessmen and women scurried every which way dressed in their smart uniforms like a colony of ants. I watched on absentmindedly when a tall figure in a slightly too-tight button-down and suit-pants broke forth from the crowd. He surveyed the length of my train anxiously before meeting my gaze.

Lockwood's face lit up and he lilted forwards, stopping at the very edge of the platform. He extended his hand up and pressed it to the glass of my carriage window. I flattened my hand to the windowpane, mirroring his. I knew that there were tears in my eyes but strangely enough, they were happy ones. He mouthed something incomprehensible, but it reassured me, nonetheless. At least I got to see him one last time before my reluctant journey.