23・❥・pick up

Lucy♡

2675 words

I know it's getting late now, baby 

Maybe you should stay here with me 

Let's just make it our own party ♬♩

Stick together like glitter, glitter, glitter, glitter 

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ: Glitter. BENEE @1ts_n0xxY (ta-da!)

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

Chapter Twenty-Three. Pick up

I suppose at some point Holly pushed the phone into my grip, which would explain why it then fell straight through my shaking fingers and clattered onto the kitchen tiles with a jarring thud. A thud that I couldn't hear over the blood rushing in my ears. I watched Lockwood wince at the phone, bend to pick it up and inspect it for damage.

"Hello, this is Anthony Lockwood. To which of the Carlyle sisters am I speaking to?" He began, angling the phone away from himself as if it were a ticking time bomb. I mouthed a quick thank you and he flashed me a meek smile in response.

"Mary? And in which order of succession are you, Mary? The second youngest? Oh. You're that one."

Holly hit Lockwood's arm and narrowed her eyes. "Be nice," she hissed.

Lockwood made a face at her and continued talking. "And why, may I ask, are you trying to contact Lucy?" He said pointedly. That earnt him another whack. "She said she'd call you?" He paused. "No. I'm not calling you a liar."

Holly and I shared a nervous glance.

"I was there too if you don't remember." Lockwood let out a strangled groan and tore a hand through his hair. "Well, she hasn't, has she?" All at once his voice became very sharp. "Clearly, she isn't ready to talk to you so-"

Holly released an audible sigh, pursed her lips, and irritably snatched the landline from Lockwood's grasp. She covered the receiver with one hand and began berating Lockwood on 'manners' and 'treating Lucy's family with respect despite the fact they deserve none'. She then reached out and stabled my trembling fingers, giving me an encouraging smile.

"Hello, Mary? Are you still there?" She asked, returning to the phone with the same unnatural smile she wore earlier, the difference being that I now understood what her smile meant. "So sorry about him, he can be very protective." She let out a short laugh. "No, no, I promise he is usually quite charming. Scary? Dangerous?" Holly's charismatic mask wavered slightly, narrowed eyes flicking to Lockwood for a second before returning to the phone in hand. "I have no idea where you got that idea from. I promise, despite his intimidating appearance-".

That earnt her a hard glare from Lockwood.

"-he wouldn't hurt a fly. Only ghosts around here. We are strictly professional." Holly paused, studying me for a moment. "Lucy? Well, she's not currently available, can I take down your number? Yes, I'll let her know you called. Good day."