21・❥・boyfriend?

Lucy

1663 words

Oh, and I'm falling into the arms of naked truth

Not surprised to see the sky and only think of you

Tell me how am I to feel? ♬♩

Tell me how

I don't know if I can chill

I need to scream it loud

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ:Female energy. WILLOW

Chapter Twenty-One. Boyfriend?

There's something about waking up from blacking out that makes me want to punch something.

The feeling that washed over me as I regained consciousness made me want to scream my lungs out as if I had any spare breath left to give.

I cracked my eyes open and took in my surroundings like I was seeing for the very first time.

I wanted to throw something and tear at my hair until it drifted to the muddy ground in dark spools.

Of course, I couldn't do any of that because my limbs simply wouldn't allow it. The injustice and anger I felt at having my life grappled with yet again only coursed through my veins in a fiery torrent.

Waves of fury rolled over me, looking for a place to go. Someone to blame. Something to point an accusing finger at. But when danger is lurking in every corner of the earth it becomes hard to find a sole culprit to fault. Ghosts lurking in the shadows. Relic men prowling by the banks. Were we ever truly safe?

I was so sick of this.

How many more times would I have to find myself waking from unconsciousness, brain foggy and head pounding before it was the last? Before I wake up for the final time?

Every cell in my body screamed the same thing, "this isn't how it's supposed to be."

I lay there in a tangle of limbs and sodden clothes. My arm throbbed, reminding me of the pain that would arise once my senses came to. I could only watch Lockwood's crumpled form like a child watching through the brittle glass of a snow globe. His shoulders shook and tears rolled down his cheeks in raw, unrestrained agony.

With each minute that passed, river water trickled from my ears and his cries became ever so audible. Until eventually a loud 'pop' ensued, and like a veil being lifted, the sounds of the world came to life.

It is a strange thing to comprehend; how someone can say a single word with so much emotion. But as Lockwood whispered my name, over and over again I swear I felt my heart tear in two.

Sensation flooded through my arms and flowed into my fingertips. I flexed them slowly and with a concerning amount of effort, raised them to cup Lockwood's cheek. He froze beneath my touch and lifted his eyes to meet mine.

"You were dead," he said hoarsely. "Lucy, you were dead in my arms, and I-." His voice caught and his lips began to quiver. "I did this to you."

"It's alright," I said breathlessly, forcing my mouth into a small smile. "Saving me was never your job anyway."

He shook his head. "Since the moment I met you, it became my job."