24・❥・calm before the storm

Lucy

2209 words

While the others talk ♬♩

We were listening to lovers rock

In her bedroom 

In her bedroom 

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ: Lovers Rock. TV girl

Chapter Twenty-four. Calm before the storm.

Is it wrong to say I laughed?

Because I did.

I couldn't help it. The surrealness of the situation kicked in, bubbling up inside of me until it overflowed in a burst of nervous giggles. I guess I had known this would happen sooner or later. The woman was stubborn, that was for certain. Holding on to life with every ounce of strength left in her. I suppose that was something we had in common; determination stronger than we knew what to do with.

You can imagine a scenario over and over until you think you've worked out every possible direction it might take. Still, at the end of the day, human emotions are unpredictable and volatile.

I felt relief. I felt sadness. I felt a sense of justice and a sense of grief. And I guess those feelings had to go somewhere. Have an outlet of some sort. Which was why they poured out of me in a torrent of hysterical laughter.

It was highly inappropriate for the situation at hand, I know. George and Holly both stared at me like I had grown a second head. But I did feel inherently better once it left my system.

"Sorry," I blurted, wondering what Mary would think of me now. Probably heartless and cold. To her I was undoubtedly the sister that ran away, giving up on my family and becoming insensitive to their problems. "I'm so sorry, Mary."

She was quiet for so long that I began to wonder if she had hung up on me. "You have nothing to be sorry for," she said eventually. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, that was just a lot to process."

"I understand. Look, I don't blame you for having mixed emotions. You were the last of her children and received the least amount of attention." Her voice wavered slightly. "The least amount of love. It's okay to laugh. You're only coping."

I nodded, although she couldn't see me. "How are the others?"

Mary paused for a moment. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about. We're all moving on in separate ways, I guess. The house is being sold-"

"You're selling the house? Why?"

"We need fresh starts. It's time we started leading our own lives."

"Oh." I didn't want to say it, but I had to know; "how can everyone afford that?" Not too long ago they were pulling strings to get me to pay for our mother's medication.