Addict Gene

Authors Note: Some drinking and weed in this chapter don't have too much fun

"Shouldn't you be working?" I hold the cough under my throat, it would be humiliating to break in a lung when your younger half isn't breaking a sweat.

"Mhm... My friend Grey is taking over for me. Plus why not help the damsel in distress. Shouldn't you be working? Flipping patties or some shit?"

"Yeah. Something like that.," You stare back at the cement under you. It's quiet. Not the uncomfortable quiet, but a simple one filled up by the wind and cars in the distance.

"So, what was up with that guy? He's kinda hot I'd probably let him crush my heart too."

"No, no it's not that at all actually. Listen, you're a stranger, right?-"

"Milo. "

"Fuck, okay, Milo, maybe as a stranger you can help me out. You know nothing about me so telling you this can't bite me in the ass, right?"

"Eh, knowing where you work, your love affairs, your smoking habits. A little personal, but sure. I dont know you. Shoot."

"So, I slept with my boss. I really don't know where to go from there."

"Was it bad?"

"No! No it was... It was fine."

"Don't see the problem. You get a raise?"

"No, fuck, I just.. I was kinda just expecting it to be a one time thing. Just a 'oh we are having fun' sorta deal not a 'the tension between us is growing so fast and it scares me how bad I need you I want you I'd do anything for you' kind of.. thing. Yeah."

"What?"

"He said he loved me."

"Oh shit. You like him?"

I pick at loose threads on my jeans. Milo is staring daggers into my head, I want to give him an answer, but my crowded mind is faster than my mouth. So fast no words can be said.

"I don't get why you're so embarrassed. I mean you have it easy in this situation."

"I have it easy?"

"Imagine how your boss feels. Fell in love with their employee only to get one cheap fuck out of it before spilling their heart all over you in a drunken daze of lust. Sounds draining to me. You have the power in this situation."

"Too much power."

There was a loud crash from back in the store. I only flinch a little, turning my body to face the door. The see through window shoes the other worker and Oscar yelling, something shattered underneath them. You can only hear muffled noises of their voices, one deep and one higher. The coworker storms toward the door, slamming it open.

"THIS DICKHEAD WONT PAY FOR HIS BROKEN BOTTLE!! GET YOUR ASS-... Uhm. Uh hey."

"Yeah. Hey, Grey."

Grey glances at me once, but mainly seems to just worry about the scene inside. He pulls Milo to the side by his shirt collar. He gives me multiple side-eyes while whispering to the taller man. You still have his stupid joint in your hand, but Milo is already turning to leave.

"Hey, do you want this back-"

"Talk to your boss. See ya."

The bell rings with the closing of the door, and that is how you ended up on the side walk of your local seven eleven with tear stained cheeks and a blunt in your hand. You suffocated the light out of the stuffed rolling paper, and shoved the rest of the substance in your pocket.

You ended up back in your car, driving to a local bar you do not frequent. In fact, you've never been there. Tonight was the night for substance abuse you suppose. When you start something, you find it hard to stop. You can't just do one bad thing, you have to do it all. Maybe it's the addict gene in you, but that's something to confront in your late 40's when you're dying of some type of cancer with your 2nd divorce on the line.

Not now. Now you're in your 20's, your prime. It has to be your prime, or all those wasted years of youth were for nothing. You adjust yourself in the rear view mirror. You shed a few layers, although seducing another guy is probably the last thing you need right now, you persist. Short lasting pleasure brings short lasting joy. But god is it easy.

You exit your car, and try not to let your discomfort rise on yourself this early. God, Y/N, just do something fun for once. You can't just waste your day off. The notion in your head makes you feel sick, it reminds you of your mindset before your meeting with Jack. You take a seat at the bar to shut off the voices in your head.

-

You're sitting. Not on dick, unfortunately.

You're sitting in your typical unnatural position when you're overwhelmed. The bar filled up quickly, so instead of dancing with a stranger you're dancing with thoughts of sucide. Bit dramatic. Not really. Whatever. Today has been pathetic.

You scroll through your phone, trying to let the bright screen drown out your hiccups and drunken thoughts. Your contacts have more red notifications than usual, you're not one to respond to messages. But you are one to read them!

Unknown Number: You didn't come into work today. Something come up?

Delivered 4 hours ago.

You drop your glass below you, the small crash only making a few visitors flinch. Oh yes, Jack, the love of your life or something like that. How could you forget?! (You haven't for a second.)

Y/N: Stalker. Bitch

Unknown Number: ? I'm sorry, your number is in company records, Y/N. I thought I would check up on you

Y/N: You could have just asked for it like a normal person

Unknown Number: Would you have given it to me?

Y/N: Why does that matter

Seen 3 minutes ago.

Unknown Number: Is something wrong?

Y/N: Shit up

Y/N: Shit*

Y/N: I'm gonna kms

Unknown Number: What? Where are you?

Y/N: Jesus Christ it's a joke. I'm sure you've told plenty of things that aren't true

Unknown Number: What are you getting at?

Y/N: Stop asking questions

Y/N: Who are you the riddler

Y/N: Oh yes batman suck my cock

Unknown Number: Y/N, are you sober?

Y/N: Wouldn't you like to know

Unknown Number: Yes, actually. I'm still your boss, Y/N. This isn't how you talk to your employer.

Y/N: You also don't moan for your employee and tell them you love them but whatever

Y/N: Seriously man kind of unprofessional to whimper under some guy who flips burgers for a living

Y/N: Aughhhh hhhh fuckk yes clean the floors harder for minimum wage god I want you

Seen 24 minutes ago.