199 | Real Monsters

"M-MY MOTHER...SHE MIGHT be the one who killed the Stepanov Clan. She might have killed Viktor's family, Gav. What am I going to do? What the hell am I going to do now?" Max reveals, instantly making Gavriil's eyes widen in shock.

     "What are you talking about?"

     "The bombs that the Rosario family bought from your company, they were resold. They were resold to my mother a week before the bombing incident. This can't just be a coincidence, Gav, and you know it," Max explains, tears streaming down from his eyes as he continues to hold onto Gavriil's hand tightly.

     "This doesn't make any sense," Gavriil says while staring at their hands, furrowing his brows because of the new information he just heard. He then looks back at Max and tells him, "Listen to me, Leigh. Your mother would never do such a thing. And there is no concrete evidence for this claim yet. Those bombs might have been stolen. Someone must have tried to frame her."

     "Let's be for real, Gavriil. When you put all the pieces together, my mother is the only one capable of doing such a thing," Max insists, surprising Gavriil because he wasn't expecting to hear this from his lover. Especially from him.

     "Do you really think your mother can just...Leigh...I know you're still in shock, but think about this first. This is a very serious claim. This is your mother we're talking about, right? Not just some stranger. This is your mother who has experienced things you, of all people, should know too well, yet you think she did this?" Gavriil asks in disbelief.

     "Then explain to me why my mother tried to kill both of us after that bombing incident. Explain to me why the first thing I wanted to do when I survived that car crash was to forget my memories?" Max then asks back, and Gavriil slowly pulls his hands away from him, standing from the sofa and massaging his temple.

     "Leigh, you're suggesting that madam Luna, your own mother, is a mass murderer. Are you hearing yourself right now?" Gavriil asks as he turns to him, and Max immediately looks away from the vice president.

     As her son, Max should be the first to believe that this isn't the truth. He should be the first to defend her. He should be the one to think that someone definitely framed her, but instead, Max couldn't do it. After everything he went through, the first thing that popped into his head when he heard about this information was that it was true. The mother he loved dearly...the mother he would reach out to whenever he was having a hard time...and the mother who he constantly defended when people talked badly about her...

     "I don't know anymore," Max says in defeat. "For some reason, deep inside me, there is this sick and wicked boy who wishes that she did do it so I could justify why I'm slowly turning into a monster too."

     "You're not a monster, Leigh. And it pains me to see you think that it's true," Gavriil sadly says, kneeling on the ground and grabbing Max's hand before lifting his head so he could directly look into Max's eyes which were now filled with tears.

     "You are not a monster. Everything you have done in J.S High is the biggest proof of that. Whatever you were in the past doesn't matter here. And you told Jontell yourself, right? That we shouldn't carry the sins of our family, whether they were true or not," Gavriil says, and Max takes a deep breath and slowly nods his head.

     "Alright, I think you should rest first. Come on," Gavriil then says, standing from the floor so he can take Max to the bedroom. 

     As they head inside the room, Max sits on the edge of the bed, wiping his tears with the back of his hand while Gavriil removes his shoes and his coat for him. Right after, he tucks him in bed so Max can rest and clear his head. Gavriil then sits beside him and gently brushes Max's hair with his fingers so he can relax.