Chapter 1: Obliterated

"Woof, woof."

Four-year-old Xiao Shuyu's thin body was lying on the ground, with all four limbs on the ground. Although her whole body was trembling with fear, she still tried to scare away the dog in front of her by barking fiercely.

The dog was not big and barked back a few times. Xiao Shuyu tightened the stone in her hand and threw it at the dog.

The dog cried out and ran away.

Xiao Shuyu let out a long sigh of relief, quickly picked up the steamed bun on the ground, patted off the dirt, rubbed her growling stomach, and wolfed it down.

She had only taken a few bites when she suddenly heard a reprimanding voice in her ear, "Shuyu, what are you doing?"

Xiao Shuyu turned her head and saw her own mother, Aunt Xue, walking towards her with a grim expression. She knocked the steamed bun out of her hand.

The already small steamed bun rolled to the ground and disappeared into the crack with a few rolls, never to be seen again.

Xiao Shuyu swallowed her saliva, unwilling to look away, and stood up unsteadily. "Aunt, I..."

"Pa." Concubine Xue slapped the small figure and sent her flying.

"You are the third young lady of the Shu family. How can you fight with dogs for food? Don't you have any shame? Aren't you embarrassed?"

Little Shu Yu wiped her nosebleed and whispered, "I'm hungry." She hadn't eaten for two days.

"You still have the face to say you're hungry? If it weren't for you dirtying my clothes, would I be laughed at by the other ladies? This is your lesson. If you can't even bear this little hunger, what use are you?"

Little Shu Yu was about to cry. She quickly approached and grabbed Concubine Xue's sleeve, urgently and cautiously saying, "It's my fault, I'm sorry, Aunt Xue. I was ignorant. I won't eat anymore. Please don't be angry."

"You see your hand, still with blood. My skirt was dirtied by you again. Go away." Concubine Xue pushed her away with disgust.

Little Shu Yu stepped back two steps and fell to the ground. Concubine Xue told her maid, "Lock her up in the small dark room and let her go hungry for another two days. She really doesn't know how to repent."

Little Shu Yu finally couldn't hold back her tears. Her small body was lifted by the maid and sent directly to the small dark room.

Little Shu Yu curled up in the corner, hugging her knees, silently crying. Her nosebleed had dyed her clothes bright red.

"Aunt, I was wrong. I won't do it again. Please let me out, okay? It's so dark here, and there are bugs that will bite my hands. I'm so scared. I'm not hungry anymore. Really, not at all."

Little Shu Yu wiped her tears. When she lowered her head, she saw a snake that didn't know when it had entered, standing on half of its body and spitting venom at her.

Little Shu Yu stopped breathing, widened her eyes, and began to tremble.

But the snake seemed to sense something and suddenly jumped up, rushing towards her.

"Ah..."

Shu Yu woke up suddenly, looking at the dim light flickering beside her bed. She sighed and covered her chest, thinking of the dream she had just had.

It wasn't a dream. This was a memory from when she was a child in this body.

Shu Yu is a character from a modern time-travel novel who transmigrated into the body of Miss Shu San, a fourteen-year-old girl who is the daughter of the governor of Dong'an Prefecture in the Da Su Dynasty. Because of this, she does not have complete memories of the original host and can only remember bits and pieces of it.