Chapter Two

Myrtle walked with some trepidation to the front door and peered out. She started smiling and pulled the door wide open. "Wanda! You're here so early. And how on earth did you get here?" She poked her head out the door, looking in vain for some kind of vehicle, most likely one on its last legs. There wasn't anything outside that fit that description. "You didn't walk here?"

"Needed to think," said Wanda solemnly.

"You must have been walking all night!" Myrtle bustled Wanda in.

Miles sighed. Wanda was a local psychic and a cousin of his. He wasn't quite sure what to make of her startlingly accurate predictions.

"Good morning," said Miles politely.

"Yer in danger," said Wanda in a level voice.

"Who is?" asked Myrtle. "You're going to have to be a bit more specific than that, Wanda. Is Miles in danger? Or am I?"

"You are, Myrtle," said Wanda. She rubbed her eyes, looking exhausted.

"What is it this time?" asked Miles. "There hasn't even been a suspicious death yet."

Wanda intoned, "Myrtle shouldn't run."

Myrtle said soberly, "Shouldn't run? For office, presumably. Is that because something awful will happen?"

Miles hid a smile. He could think of plenty of awful things happening if Myrtle were in charge of the town. Mostly to do with Red's blood pressure.

Wanda nodded earnestly. "You'll be stressed. Stress is bad for you."

Myrtle said, "I don't think stress has such an awful effect on me. After all, I solve murder mysteries and that's stressful."

Wanda gave her a look. "No it's not. You like it."

Miles smiled. "She does like it."

Myrtle huffed. "Like it? All I get is a sense of civic satisfaction from ridding the town of murderers."

Wanda said, "You like beatin' Red."

"Outsmarting him? Well, of course I do," said Myrtle complacently. "Who wouldn't?" She considered Wanda's words for a few moments. "What Miles and I were discussing was my just influencing the town council's direction and behavior. That I'd run for office, scare everyone into controlling themselves while representing the town, and then drop out. Would that be acceptable?"

Wanda carefully considered this. "Guess so," she said slowly.

Myrtle clapped her hands together. "I'm glad that's settled. Now let me get you something to eat. Do you want coffee, too?"

But Wanda had already nodded off on Myrtle's sofa.

"She's completely worn out, the poor thing," said Myrtle in a hushed voice.

Miles took this opportunity to stand up. "As I was saying, Myrtle, I'm very tired, too. I'll go home and try to take a nap. Wanda looks like she could use a nap too. Then give me a call when you're ready to go to the town hall to see the clerk." He hurried out while Myrtle was frowning in concern at Wanda, who had slumped to the side of the sofa.

Myrtle found her oldest, softest blanket and put it around Wanda. Then she found a pillow and shook Wanda awake for a second to place it behind her head.

Wanda gave her a serious look. "The rain."

"Rain? What rain? It's bone dry outside."

"Just remember the rain," mumbled Wanda before dropping back to sleep.