Chapter Six

Myrtle got off the call as Wanda came out of the dressing area carrying several tops that apparently had both her and Patsy's approval, a pair of black jeans, and a pair of blue jeans. What was more, Wanda looked flushed and happy.

Myrtle settled up with Patsy at the checkout counter and then they headed back to Miles's car where Miles was diligently working on a Sudoku he'd dug up from the center console.

"All set?" asked Miles with a smile at Wanda and she gave him a smile and a nod in return.

Miles said, "I'm almost scared to ask, but where to now?"

"Back to my place, actually, after stopping very briefly by Elaine's house to pick up a few toiletries for Wanda. She and I are going to need to launder these consignment clothes before she wears them. It's probably time for us to eat again." Myrtle said this in response to the sound of Wanda's tummy growling. "Also, I'll need to send Sloan that information for his article on me tomorrow."

"An' the horoscope," said Wanda.

"So we have lots to do."

"Will you need your campaign manager anymore today?" asked Miles. His tone indicated that he fervently hoped not.

"Not unless you feel like writing horoscopes or doing laundry. But I do need you to send me the best of those pictures you took so I can edit them and send them along to Sloan."

When Miles pulled up to Myrtle's house, he said, "Uh-oh."

Red was sitting on Myrtle's front porch, arms crossed.

"He looks combative," said Miles.

Wanda croaked, "Ain't happy about you runnin'."

"Well, that was a given. Red should be pleased that his mother is so engaged in the community. Besides, having a family member in politics could be very useful for a small town's police chief," said Myrtle with a sniff.

"All right. But just in case he isn't delighted and grateful at your candidacy, this campaign manager is going to head back home," said Miles.

Myrtle hopped out of the car and Wanda slowly followed as Miles drove off.

"Hi, Mama," grated Red as Myrtle came up to the house and dug her keys out of her purse.

"Well, hi there," said Myrtle brightly. "What a pleasant surprise."

Red held the door open and Myrtle sailed past him, thumping her cane emphatically as she went. Wanda hesitated until Red politely said, "Good to see you, Wanda." She smiled and shuffled past him into Myrtle's house.

Wanda perched on the edge of Myrtle's most uncomfortable chair and watched the proceedings. Red looked sternly at Myrtle.

Myrtle pointed toward the kitchen. "Lemonade, Red? Crackers and cheese?"

"You know very well I'm not here for a social visit."

Myrtle knitted her eyebrows. "Who was the tattletale? Was it Sloan?"

"Mama, Greener Pastures called me. Said you'd been creating a ruckus at their facility."

Wanda bit her lip. Myrtle said sourly, "It was hardly a ruckus. It was a perfectly benign political event."

"They said hosting political events was not allowed on their premises."

Myrtle said, "Isn't that so typical of Greener Pastures? Suppression of their inmates' basic rights? The Constitution allows for freedom of assembly, you know."

Red sighed. "Mama, you're missing my point. I'm not worried about what's happening at the retirement home as long as no crimes have been committed."

"Well, whether a crime has been may be a matter of opinion. For all we know, Greener Pastures might be raking in money that's supposed to go to their inmates' care. I mean, canned vegetables in the dining hall? Absurd."