Chapter Eighteen

Myrtle and Tippy headed out to Tippy's roomy Cadillac. Tippy turned on the car and jazz music started playing on the speakers. Tippy, always the perfect hostess, even if she was hosting in her car, started asking Myrtle questions about how Jack was doing and what Elaine was up to. Before Myrtle knew it, they were at town hall.

The town clerk did not look excited to see Myrtle there again.

"I'd like to drop out of the race, BeeBee," said Myrtle. "And Tippy would like to sign up."

BeeBee muttered something under her breath and pulled out a stack of paperwork for Tippy and a separate piece of paper for Myrtle. "Forms and signatures," she said.

Myrtle poised her pen above the paper. "So it's not a problem, then? That Tippy becomes a candidate even though it's post-deadline?"

BeeBee rubbed at her forehead as though it hurt. "No. That's because we currently have no candidates for the seat."

Myrtle frowned. "But there's Erma Sherman."

"Dropped out earlier this morning," drawled BeeBee. "Said there was a troubling incident in her yard and thought it might be politically-motivated."

Tippy gave Myrtle an alarmed look and Myrtle said, "Oh, that's just Erma being hyperbolic. You know how she is."

Tippy said sharply, "Preston's demise didn't have anything to do with Erma running for office, did it?"

"Certainly not! It had to do with Erma having a big mouth at Royce's funeral."

BeeBee was now looking interested. Myrtle said, "I'll fill you in later, Tippy. Just rest assured that you don't have to worry about running for office."

Myrtle waited until Tippy started filling out the forms in her sweeping handwriting and then scrawled her name on the form to withdraw from candidacy.

A minute later, Myrtle decided that the process of signing Tippy up was going to take forever. She was a very careful person and very deliberate in terms of what she put her name to. She was studying the form and asking BeeBee lots of questions and there wasn't anywhere for Myrtle to sit down in the town clerk's office.

"I'll meet you out in the lobby," said Myrtle and Tippy absently nodded.

Myrtle walked out into the lobby and right to a bench. She was getting a peppermint out of her purse when the door to the building opened and Bonner Lang walked in. He started passing Myrtle, seemingly completely focused on heading to the stairs.

"Bonner?" asked Myrtle, calling out in her authoritative voice.

Bonner jumped a little and then gave Myrtle a half-smile. "Why, Miss Myrtle! What an unexpected pleasure to see you here this morning. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing well, Bonner. I have news for you."

"Is it about your campaign? I have to admit I did a little informal polling and there's quite a bit of local support for you as a candidate. I think you might be a shoo-in." Bonner grinned at her.

Myrtle didn't look surprised. "Well, that's not too surprising. After all, I taught many of them. It's not as if no one knows who I am. However, after careful consideration, I have decided to drop out of the race."

Bonner's eyes bugged out. He clearly came from the tradition of never dropping out of anything, especially if he had any kind of support. "Dropping out? Why on earth for? You're not having any health issues, I hope."

Myrtle shook her head impatiently. "Nothing like that. It's just that I had a good conversation with Tippy Chambers and she's decided to run for the council seat. I'm throwing all my support behind her. Besides, she's currently the only candidate."