Chapter Five

Miles, in the car with the windows down, had fallen into a deep sleep and was snoring lightly. When Myrtle hopped into the car, he jerked awake, startled.

"All done?" he asked blearily, rubbing his eyes.

"It was a piece of cake. Wanda's getting her hair cut and styled, so we're going to run by town hall and turn in my packet before coming back."

Miles said, "I must still be dreaming. I could have sworn you said that Wanda was getting her hair cut and styled."

"That's precisely what I said. Kat always does a marvelous job, so I'm sure Wanda is in good hands. Sometimes, when you've had a rough spell, a trip to the salon can work wonders."

Miles, who used a barber, gave a doubtful grunt.

At the town hall, Myrtle practically pranced through the door, waving her completed packet as she approached the town clerk. BeeBee gave her a stiff smile. "Hi there, Mrs. Clover. Wow, that was quick work."

"Oh, I perform well under deadlines," said Myrtle. "And of course, everyone was so eager to sign on to support my candidacy. It's been a very personally rewarding day."

BeeBee carefully checked the packet and then signed and stamped a paper. "You're good to go."

"Is there anything I should know about?" Myrtle frowned at BeeBee as if she were falling down on the job.

BeeBee appeared to be frantically thinking. "I don't think so, Mrs. Clover. Is there something I've forgotten?"

"Are there any formal campaign dates I should be aware of? Debates? Things of that nature?"

BeeBee said slowly, "Well . . . no. It's a town council seat. We don't really host debates for small seats. Actually, there aren't even debates for mayor. The newspaper editor just sends over interview questions to the different candidates and they respond and he prints them. That's the main way citizens understand where the candidates stand on issues."

Myrtle's eyebrows drew together. "That really won't do at all. I want to make sure certain issues are addressed. I want the town council to understand how poorly they're behaving and I need a platform for that."

"You could always challenge the other candidate to a debate," said BeeBee with a shrug. "I'm sure we could host it in the council room. Sloan would surely advertise it in the paper. That would be a good way to spread the news about your message." She looked a bit curious as to what this message might be.

Myrtle turned to Miles. "What do you think, Miles?"

Miles, who had been busy using hand sanitizer since he opened the door leading into town hall, looked startled and then a bit abashed for not paying attention.

Myrtle frowned at him. "What do you think about asking Royce to debate me? Doesn't that sound like a way to amplify my ideas?"

Miles nodded. Then he cleared his throat. "Is Royce the only other candidate? Because we did speak with Erma, you know."

Myrtle shuddered at the mention of her name. "We certainly did. I devoutly hope she didn't follow through on her intentions."

"Erma Sherman?" asked BeeBee. "She's already turned her packet back in."

Myrtle and Miles blinked at her.

"She's an official candidate?" asked Miles slowly.

"Who on earth signed her packet?" asked Myrtle.

BeeBee neatly stacked an already-neat stack of papers. "She mentioned that she collected them from all the different physicians she sees."

Myrtle and Miles gave each other doleful looks.