Newsies:

Sunup to sundown knowin' where my customers will be.

Sunup to sundown, watchin' all the ladies watchin' me.

Walk my shoes off, got the dough to show it, probably I'll blow it.

Then before you know it, we'll be out there carrying the banner.

Davey said, "Paper! Paper! Evening paper!"

He tried to give a paper to a passing man who rejected him.

Jack laughed and said, "Sing him to sleep why don't ya?"

He took Davey's paper and cried, "Extra! Extra! Terrified flight from burning inferno! You heard the story right here!"

The man bought the paper from Jack.

Davey was far from pleased. "You just made that up."

Jack frowned. "I said he heard it right here and he did."

"My father taught us not to lie."

"Well mine taught me not to starve."

"Just sold my last paper!" Les cried as he walked up.

"I got one more," Davey answered as he held it up.

"Sell it or pay for it," Jack told him.

"Give it here," Les said as he took it. He walked up to a lady and asked, "Buy a pape from a poor orphan boy?" He fake-coughed.

The lady looked sorry for him and she replied, "Oh, you dear thing! Of course I'll take a newspaper. Here's a dime."

"Born to the breed!" Jack cried, turning to the brothers. "Hey, how's about we divvy up the money? We'll grab some chow and find a safe place to spend the night."

Davey shook his head. "We gotta get home; our folks will be waiting for dinner."

Jack's expression dropped. "You got folks, huh?"

"Doesn't everyone?" Les asked innocently.

An awkward silence fell over the three as Les realized what he had said.

"Our dad tangled with a delivery truck on the job." Davey explained. "Messed up his leg bad, so they laid him off. That's how come we have to find work."

"Yeah, yeah... sure, that makes sense," Jack said with a shrug. "Hey, too bad about your dad."

"Well how about comin' home with us for dinner? Our folks would be happy to have you."

"Mom's a great cook!" Les added.

"Thanks for the invite, but ah, I just remembered I got plans with a fella. He's probably waitin' on me right now," Jack lied.

Les looked up and pointed to a man. "Is that the guy you're meetin'?"

Jack looked up to see Snyder. "Run for it! Go, go!"

"Kelly!" Snyder cried as they ran into Medda's theater.

"Slow down," Jack said. "Slow down. I think we lost him."

"Does someone want to tell me why I'm runnin'? I got no one chasing me. Jack, who was that guy?"

"That there was Snyder the Spider. A real sweetie. He runs a jail for underaged kids called the Refuge. The more kids he brings in, the more the city pays out. The problem is, all the money goes straight into his own pocket. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of Snyder and the Refuge, all right?"

Jack went towards the back and ran a hand through his hair.

They were disrupted when Medda cried, "Hey, you up there! Shoo! No kids allowed in the theater."

"Not even me Miss Medda?" Jack asked with a smile.

"Jack Kelly! A man of mystery! Get yourself down here and give me a hug!"

They ran down the stairs and Jack hugged Medda.

"Where have you been keeping yourself?"

"Never far from you, Miss Medda," Jack said. He turned to the brothers and continued. "Boys, may I present Miss Medda Larkin, the greatest star on the bowery today. She also owns the joint."

Medda laughed. "The only thing I own is the mortgage. Pleasure, gents."

"A pleasure," Davey agreed. He noticed Les staring at some girls. "What's wrong with you?"

"Are you blind? She got no clothes on!"

"That's her costume!" Davey explained.

"But I can see her legs!" Les protested.

"Step out of his way so he can get a better look. Theater's not only entertaining, it's educational."

The girls blew Les kisses as they left.

"Got your picture, kid?" Medda inquired as Les nodded.

"Miss Medda, I got a little situation on the street. You mind if we hide out here awhile?" Jack asked.

Medda raised her hands. "Where better to escape trouble than a theater? Is Snyder after you again?"

"Hey Jack, did you really escape jail on the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage?" Les wondered.

"What would the Governor be doing at a juvenile jail?" Davey asked with a scoff.

"He was running for office and he wanted to show he cared about orphans and such," Jack said, "So while he got his mug in the pape, I got my butt in the back seat and off we rode togeder."

"Do you really know the Governor?" Les asked in awe.

Medda laughed. "He don't, but I do. Say Jack, when you got time, I want you to paint me some more of these backdrops. This last one you did is a doozy! Folks love it! And things have been going so well, I can actually pay."

"I couldn't take your money Miss Medda," Jack protested.

Les stared at the painting. "You pictured that?"

"Your friend is quite the artist."

"Take it easy. It's a bunch of trees," Jack stated sarcastically.

"You're really good," Davey remarked.

"That boy's got natural aptitude," Medda said.

"Jeez. I never knew no one with a aptitude," Les said.

The stage manager appeared and yelled, "Miss Medda; you're on!"

"I am? How am I doing?!" she asked, but the stage manager didn't laugh. She turned to the boys who laughed a little. "Boys, lock the door and stay all night. You're with Medda now."

The music started and Jack rushed to find a seat. He found one just as the stage manager announced Medda. "Ladies and gentleman! Please welcome the star of our show, Miss Medda Larkin!"