Katherine and Ellie made their way back to Pulitzer's office. He frowned at them as he held up the article they'd written about the strike. He forced them to sit in the chairs. The girls pouted.

"I've read your editorials, Mr. Pulitzer," the mayor said. "How can you express so much sympathy for the trolley workers and yet have none for the newsies?"

"The trolley workers are striking for a fair contract. The newsies are striking against me," Pulitzer justified.

"I'd spare you this embarrassment if I could, but the burlesque house is private property."

"You can't order a raid without legal cause," Seitz reminded him.

"Mister mayor; would the fact that this rally is being organized by an escaped convict be cause enough to shut it down?"

"An escaped convict..." the mayor began.

"A fugitive from one of your own institutions. A convicted thief at large, wreaking mischief on the law-abiding community. Mr. Snyder, which one is it?"

Snyder pointed to one of the boys. "That one there, Jack Kelly."

"How do you know this boy?" the mayor asked.

"His is not a pleasant story. He was first sentenced to my refuge for loitering and vagrancy, but his total disregard for authority has made him a frequent visitor."

"You called him a thief and an escaped convict."

"After his release, I caught him myself, red-handed, trafficking stolen food and clothing. He was last sentenced to six months, but the willful ruffian escaped."

"You would be doing this city a service, removing this criminal from our streets," Pulitzer persuaded.

"Well if that's the case, we can take in in quietly and then-" the mayor was cut off.

Pulitzer slammed his hand on his desk. "What good would quiet do me?! I want a public example made of him."

Hannah entered the room and said, "Mr. Pulitzer, the boy, Jack Kelly, is here."

"Here?"

"Just outside. He's asked to see you."

"Ask, and he shall be received. Mr. Snyder, Mr. Walsh, can you please...." He looked to Florie and Katherine and ordered, "Sit." He turned their chairs away from view of the door.

"Mr. Jack Kelly," Hannah announced.

Jack whistled. "Afternoon, fellas."

"And which Jack Kelly is this?" Mr. Pulitzer asked. "The charismatic union organizer or the petty thief and escaped convict?"

"Which one gives us more in common?" Jack asked smugly.

"Impudence is in bad taste when crawling for mercy."

"Crawlin', now that's a laugh. No, I just stopped by with an invite. It seems a few hundred of your employees are rallying to discuss some... recent disagreements. Now, I only thought it fair to invite you to state your case directly to the fellas. So, whaddya say Joe, huh? Want us to save you a spot on the bill?"

"You are as shameless and disrespectful of a creature as I was told. Do you know what I was doing when I was your age, boy? I was fighting in a war."

"And how'd that turn out for ya?"

"Well, it taught me a lesson and shaped my life. You don't win a war on the battlefield. It's the headline that crowns the victor."

"I'll keep that in mind when New York wakes up to front page photos of our rally."