Athena's Agony

Athena looked fiercely at the Avengers before her "You aren't taking her anywhere" snapped Steve angrily. Athena just shook her head "You don't get to tell me what to do especially about my daughter" she snapped back getting eye to eye with the super solider. Steve scoffed at the statement "Yeah right Thea your really mother of the year! You abandoned her and left with people who neglected and an emotional abused her" he yelled. Athena gave a pained look and glanced away. Athena walked over to Zoe brushing the hairs out of her face then turn to Steve with a look so fierce that he took two steps back in uncertainty. Raising a finger pointing "You know nothing I had no choice it was either give her up or watch her being thrown in Tartarus, she was my light and my hope after 40 years of torture and nothing but pain and agony.." cried Athena she stopped to breathe and trying repressed memories before she continued. "I got my love back Howard Stark and even though it was only a short time we had together it was enough to forget everything and out our darkness times came her and she set me free she broke all the darkness, she became the light of my life that's where she gets her name it means life" said Athena firmly. "I and Zoe had six beautiful months in Asgard to help me recover and she was amazing happy and bright and was showing even at such young age such a potential for power ... that scared some especially after Gaia's prediction, then came Hera and Poseidon." said Athena bitterly. Steve went to say some but Nat interrupted "What does Hera and Poseidon have to do with Zoe?" She asks.

Athena just shook her head "Hera was my stepmother and never really liked that I was my father's favorite and not her son Ares. Poseidon hated that I was the patron god over Athens and bested him in many way but seeing how my child could make them maybe lose what little power they had left sent them over the edge. They wanted her dead and I wasn't no were near powerful enough to fight them... but luckily Frigga step in she's the one that said Zoe powers could be bound and she could live in the mortal world with her father... it shattered my soul to let her go that first time and for five years I had to watch my daughter call another women Momma and watch from a far as my daughter grow up never knowing me as her mother" cried Athena tear streaming down her face.

Athena took a deep breath then continue "The only comfort I had that she was with her father and she knew love and was happy, But then that witch Peggy Carter figured out who Zoe truly was and decided the best way to get revenge on me was through her so reveal to Maria the truth about Zoe and Howard's and my love and plotted to kill him and take her" replied Athena pacing. Steve groaned "She was just in love with Howard but she wouldn't have killed him" he snapped. Bucky who had been silent spoke up. "God you are so damn blind after all you been told about her you still defend her like she's the love of your life" yelled Bucky. Steve looked away and just shook his head "Damn it she telling the truth about Peggy Carter is the one who activated the Winter Solider in me and sent me too kill Howard and Maria and not only that she wanted me to bring Zoe to her and then send her to the Red Room to raise her like Nat and become an assassin to kill Athena later on..." reveled Bucky taking deep breathes. Everyone sat there in awkward silence at last piece of information. Clint finally spoke "Why did you not complete your mission Bucky? and why does Peggy want such revenge against you Athena?" .

Bucky just shook his head "I don't know as soon as I touched her it was like a light went off in my head. And I woke me up after such long sleep for some reason no matter what I couldn't harm her and that gold guy showed up and I knew she would be save so I grabbed what was needed and left" he replied shrugging his shoulders. Athena smiled at Bucky "I can say why Bucky it's because you are soulmates and have a bond that is hard to break and as for Peggy she wants revenge because of part I played in her Mother's curse and death" replied Athena shaking her head. Steve was breathing heavily "So Zoe is in danger because of you maybe she should have never came to this reality" he snapped at  Athena.

Athena looked at Steve and shook her head "No Steve she had to come here other wise my brother would have killed her Hera sent Ares after her in that reality, her powers would have his for the taking which would have been catastrophic the God of War with that kind of power" paused Athena as she shattered at just thought.
"Bringing Zoe back here sealed her powers to her so no one can take them,and she can learn to control them this why she needs to come to Asgard to heal and help her grow so Captain we will be leaving" she said firmly and glaring at Steve. Thor came back into the Quinjet "Lady Athena we need to get going if we are going to Asgard" said Thor solemnly. Athena nodded "Bucky will you carry Zoe and we can go" replied Athena. Bucky looked at Athena surprised but tried to move to Zoe when Steve stopped him "Why Bucky, if anyone is going it will be me her boyfriend" snapped Steve. Athena just shook her head "Steve I know you want to but its better if Bucky goes we can help get the Winter Solider out his head" said Athena firmly. Bucky had moved to gather Zoe in his arms and moved to walk of the Quinjet. Steve looked down and nodded his head "Fine but I want updates whenever you can" he said to Athena. Athena nodded and looked at her daughter in Bucky's arms with much tenderness. Steve moved to Bucky and Zoe he pressed a kiss to Zoe's forehead and whispered "Come back to me Sugar and I will take you dancing okay" he whispered. Then Steve looked up at Bucky "Protect her with your life Buck and bring her back to me" he said firmly. Bucky just pulled Zoe closer  "Of course Steve until my last breath" responded Bucky quietly.

Athena, Thor and Bucky all moved out into the open field the others followed them as Thor wrapped his arm around Athena "Sir Bucky please hold on to Little Bolt and stand as close as you can please" said Thor. Everyone was situated and Thor raised his hammer and with a flash of colorful light they were gone. Clint moved to walk around to gather his arrows and make a phone called to SHIELD. Steve moved quietly to the Quinjet he sat down in the pilot sit and started going over all the panels. Nat moved into the co-pilot seat and began to help him. A few minutes later "She will be okay she has Thor and Bucky looking after her" said Nat sighing. Steve just nodded "I know Thor will do everything in his power to protect her and so will Bucky but..." he stopped  looking down. "Your worried about what Athena said about them being soulmates" replied Nat. Steve clinched his fists together and sighed "They had bond from the moment that they meet and I have seen the way he looks at her and it just brings me back to before the serum and the war and how all they always choose him and he went through them like tissues... so when she wanted me it made me so happy to have something he didn't and now I might lose her love." he said quietly.

Nat shook her head "She loves you Steve believe me despite all that has happen she choose you and Bucky while yes he loves her, his friendship and that friendship means everything to him and he wouldn't betray you so trust them and have faith everything will work out" said Nat firmly putting her hand on his shoulder. Steve nodded and was about respond when Clint ran in "Shield is on their way to clean this mess up but I am sure they will have questions" said Clint in a rushed voice. Steve started the Quinjet "I don't what's going to worst Fury wrath or Stark's fury when they found about what happened here especially with Zoe" said Steve grimacing. "My money's on Stark" responded Clint as he sighed. They took off heading back to the compound none of looking forward to what lay ahead.