Chapter 9, Attention citizens.

Silas made his way through the crew gathered at the entryway of the underground district -7, to receive Arya and Benji back from the camp day.

A third unfamiliar, unfriendly face walking out of the power-lift used to descend under the ground to reach district-7, made Silas uncomfortable. "Wait wait. Hold the customs clearance. Can somebody explain me what the fuck is this?"

"Apologies boss, this is Fiana from the tribe of Hayal from Zoramaic dunes." Benji moved forward and stood at ease after introducing the shadow girl to the rest of the crew. "We couldn't recruit children for the APE's formal school nor any adults to join working class this time."

Silas's gaze swiftly shifted to Arya while she was busy dodging his eyes and looking at something on the ground.

"A moment with me, Dr Arya Sen." Silas walked away from the power lifts and towards the vehicle parking area.

"Where's the map?" Silas impatiently rubbed his greying stubble and held his hips, waiting for an explanation.

Arya remained quiet for a few seconds, head still hung downward. After a moment of self-composure, she lifted her gaze to face Silas. "There was so much happening, all at the same time. I couldn't explain it over the... "

"I asked, where. Is. My map?"

Arya jerked, partially scared and a little embarassed. She could feel Benji, Fiana and several others' gazes boring holes on her back.

Silas sighed. "What's all this, Arya? I ask you for a simple thing, and you bring me  an underage girl, what good is she for joining our labour class?"

"I bargained my way out of there. The silt from their hydroponic garden in exchange for a cure to that girl's sister."

"A cure? For what? And silt?"

"That's a long story, boss." Arya bit her lip, "but worry not, I'm gonna go with the girl after I formulate the treatment protocol back to her tribe and get you what you want."

Silas was visibly not in consensus with whatever was happening. Before storming out of the place, he glanced over to the vehicle pass, Benji and the new girl and said in a low tone, "you disappoint me."

Fiana, although intently listened and tried to make sense out of the situation, there was a lot she wasn't able to see, literally.

Benji threw some fist bumps, hand shakes and subtle manly hugs with his friends and co-workers while he exchanged pleasantries.

"Everything okay?" Benji jogged over to the vehicle pass where Arya stood. "Silas seemed upset. Like really really upset. What is it?"

"Nothing." Arya drooped her lips down collecting bags from the rear end of the vehicle. "This camp day was exhausting."

"Sure. Exhausting is an understatement." Benji said, helping her out.

"Problem? Me?" Fiana questioned, her earl grey eyes clouding with curiosity and a little bit of guilt.

"Yeah." Benji nodded. "I mean you're welcome here. You are gonna stay with Arya in her dome. It's safer there. Isn't it Ari?"

"Well..." Arya shot a look of disapproval at Benji while he smirked, having known how much Arya hated sharing her space with anybody, let alone an outsider. "I guess you can stay. Ideally, you will be allocated to stay in guest chambers. But as Benji says, you'll probably need a babysitter. And the cheapest one available for now... is me."

"Babysitter?" Fiana frowned.

"Nevermind. This way." Arya rolled her eyes, pushed Benji aside in angst and walked away, guiding Fiana towards the bio-dome.
_________________________________________

Fiana sniffed at something in the air. She turned her head around swiftly as a low rumble of water purifier, freezer, UV lights from the glass cabinet muffled her hearing senses. "Hate. Here."

"Oh yeah? You should totally visit the market tonight. It's a sensory treat for you." Arya chuckled, pushing the freezer door with her leg as she carried food packages in both her hands.

"Market?"

"Yeah, the market. Where you buy stuff. With RemCoins. Money." She laid silver packets of rewarmed food on the work desk and ran her hand over the surface to clear the clutter. "Here. Eat, you must be hungry."

Fiana took the packet and examined it as if she had never seen one before. "Food?"

"Sorry, we got no snake stew around here. Instead we have this, totally vegan, totally 3-D printed and about 99% safe. Built from amino acids and sugars from these plants in this very bio-dome"

Fiana nodded, although most of it didn't make sense to her, Arya guessed. She probably understood the things about plants. She mimicked Arya in opening packets and started to eat.

"That good?" Arya asked, her voice muffled through a mouthful of food.

"Good." Fiana nodded.

Even before they finished eating, the comms went loud with alarms. Fiana covered her ears in discomfort. "What?"

"Attention citizens of district -7, you are here by informed that due to an unprecedented incident in the Capital district, the communication is disrupted and will take a couple of days to get it back online. All are requested to co-operate. The military personnel, co-ordinators, members of the scientific bureau and class 3 workers are requested to arrive at the Entryway. Attention citizens..."

The alert was on loop. Arya dropped her food back on the desk and jumped around gathering stuffs.

AVAH hovered behind her, helping her to get her things organized like she always did. Fiana stood up, hands squeezed into fists of frustration and anger.

"Cure? What happening?" Fiana demanded to know as she walked behind Arya, almost tripping her down into a fall.

"Listen. I know how much confusing all of this is for you, but we need to follow some protocols around here. So stay put." Arya held her by arms and pushed her aside.

"No." Fiana sprung back, blocking her way again. "Now."

"Okay okay. Alright." Arya pressed a hand on her forehead and said pointing her fingers to some random direction, "listen. There is some problem in another city, the main city, okay? They need reinforcement."

Fiana checked out towards the random direction that Arya was pointing at and frowned in confusion.

Arya grew increasingly impatient. She licked her lower lip and started explaining things all over again.

Fiana shook her head.

Arya gave up and pulled her along, "here, you'll need a thermal suit, a pair of shoes, a multi-tool, some food and water. You can carry your crossbow. We'll drop you off somewhere near to your valley, don't worry."

"No." Fiana resisted, dumping the suit and shoes to the ground. "No!"

"I get it now, why your mother sent you here. You're not gonna let me go without preparing the cure, am I right? Hard egg for sure."

"Girls, any problem?"

Benji burst into the Bio-dome, already well equipped for the journey to the capital district.

"Fiana's the problem." Arya said blatantly, folding her arms with a basic bitch face.