The Tournament Begins

The incident at U.S.J. was a piece of news that was bound to make the headlines. After all, it had been a while since a group of villains this large attacked not just any place, but the citadel of the best heroes Japan had to offer. The following day the lesson were cancelled, much to the joy of one Danny Fenton, who, for one, was thankful to the idiots for sacrificing their freedom to give him a well-deserved day off. He and his friends hung out in the city centre, and each proudly watched the news broadcasted from the wide screens. It was them who stopped the villains, after all. That was a pleasant feeling. Danny did feel a bit disgruntled by the omission of the students' achievement, though. Yes, they were shown on TV, but the use of general terms like 'the heroes handled the situation' rid him of that ego-inflating joy.

"Oh, cheer up, ghosty," Kirishima said and nudged him. "There'll be plenty of times when you get the credit. No need to get so sour."

"I am not sour," Danny shrugged. "I know people are more concerned about the fact that the attack happened at all. But honestly, if U.A. students can handle this, it would have been a good advertisement if that part was talked about."

"Yeah. That was stupid of them," Mina grinned and cackled. "What were the bad guys expecting, honestly?"

"They wanted to use Nomu and kill All Might, before tailing. You saw how it was," Danny pondered aloud. "The thing ignored physical damage, and that's what All Might's Quirk is about. But they were so focused on the goal that they neglected all other factors."

"Yeah, who could have known you'll pull out another broken card," Kirishima snorted and grinned. "Fighting you is like playing a stupid Yu-Gi-Oh duel, man."

"Yeah, yeah. Get over it, already," Danny smiled and lightly nudged his friend. "But their shortsightedness is obvious. I mean, have you seen the mastermind of this whole show? Shigaraki is a petulant man-child. A moron, and a prideful one. Obviously he is not thinking rationally."

"Well, he must have some sort of charisma going. I mean, he got so many villains together."

Danny's mind went back to the meeting he had attended. That was unlikely. The guy was completely unlikeable and apathetic. And there was also a different knowledge that the halfa had.

"I don't think so. But there is a chance that someone is backing them," Danny leaned against the railing, looking at the glass roof of the mall. "They did mention some 'Master'. Won't put it past that person to have everything it takes to create this ragtag team. Money, influence, and the capabilities to create a bioengineered monster. Sheesh, he sounds like Masters."

"Your godfather?"

"Yep," Danny's lips thinned. "Although the cheesehead is not the one to blame here, obviously. In any case, I think we can take a breather now. It's obvious they put a lot into this scheme, so it will take some time for them to come back for more."

"That's not a good reassurance," Mina deadpanned.

"You'll get used to it," the halfa smirked. "I learned to just accept things I have no power over. Best we can do is to get stronger."

Truth be told, he held a certain degree of power over the events. He had a sensitive piece of knowledge that could potentially make a difference, he was acting in shadows to harm the villains' livelihoods. But it was still pointless in the grander scheme of things at the moment. Both sides made themselves known, now it came to the data collection before they met again and fought. Phantom had no hope in the heroes' help. It would certainly be welcome, but he had to make do with what he already had. That's how he always did it.

"Speaking of which," Mina rubbed the back of her neck. "Danny-kun, can you make a portal to my home? Please?" She made a begging sign.