002

A thorn on his side

The Hawthorn's large garden was her favorite place to be alone

The Hawthorn's large garden was her favorite place to be alone. Wild shrubs and flowers filled the north side of the yard, facing Belle's window, and a formal rose garden grew on the south end. A wide lawn stretched between the two gardens, and shady trees swayed overhead. There was a spot to sit for every mood.

Belle found her way to a low garden wall and leaned her weight against it. She was starting to feel guilty.

Of course, her parents shouldn't have taken it upon themselves to arrange her marriage for her. Of course, having done so anyway, they should have told her a long time ago. Of course, the whole thing was stupid. But really, they loved her. They wanted her to have the best of everything

Sighing deeply, she closed her eyes and massaged her shoulder. The late evening was cooling, and a familiar salty breeze mingled with the midsummer roses as it floated through the garden.

Belle took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Mind if I join you?"

Eyes popping open, she saw James sauntering down the dim walk, one hand hooked on his pocket and the other twirling a white gardenia blossom.

Not waiting for a response, he leaned back against the wall and held the small flower out in front of her.

The flower looked incredibly small in his hand. Belle looked at it but did not move to take it from him.

"Would you like it?" he asked after a moment, starting to look awkward.

"Thanks." She smiled, taking it, though it was visibly a bit forced.

"I'm sorry for being so rude tonight." He said, trying to catch the girl's amber eyes in his own. "I haven't been feeling like myself today."

"It's alright, we're to be married anyway. For the better and for the worse, am I right?" She joked but paused at the look on his face.

James froze mid-fidget; that was something he needed to clear up. "I never said I was going to marry you."

Belle blinked and straightened up. "What?"

"You heard me." He needed to move. James strode out of the clearing and down a pathway; he was descending the short steps when she caught up with him.

"James..." she was following him again; couldn't she take a hint? "I'm not sure you're quite grasping this whole Betrothal concept."

"I think I understand it perfectly," he shot over his shoulder as he continued forward.

"Then you realize that we will be getting married in a few years – to each other."

"No, we won't. I refuse."

"Why?" Belle thought she was more than a catch.

"I'm not going to marry someone that I don't love." End of story.

"Love can be learned."

"It can also be elusive." Turning right, he brushed his arm against a thorny branch and flinched. Belle's eyes softened.

"I think I'm capable of changing your mind."

"No, I don't think you are." No matter how pretty she was— and kind and perfect all together, James couldn't let himself be deterred.

Lily was his soulmate.

Even if she didn't know that herself. Yet.

"Tell you what, James Potter?" Belle started, picking up a singular dandelion from the ground, causing him to crouch down and pick up a flower too.

"One day, you'll be in love with me." She joked, blowing on the little dandelion and causing its seeds to fly softly around the pair.

Holding up the flower he's been twirling, James tucked it into the hair next to her ear, murmuring,

"I don't think it works like that."

"He doesn't like me."

"Oh, darling..."

"No, Mother. You don't understand—" Belle spun on her vanity's chair, staring up at her mom who had been brushing her hair. It was the night before Belle was to transfer to Hogwarts. "He...he doesn't want to marry me."

"But that's what all young men say in the beginning." Rosalie reasoned softly with her daughter, tapping her shoulder slightly so that she'd turn back around.

"It's not fair that he gets to keep his self-respect." The sixteen years old huffed slightly, turning back around and allowing her mother to continue brushing her hair.

"It's not about pride, sweetheart. It is required in pureblood culture to marry to a family of the same status once you're of age. Young James has no say in it..."

"But—"

"But you do." Belle saw her mother's reflection in the mirror, staring at her as she ran the brush through her daughter's soft locks. "Unlike him, you have a choice. If you were to find someone better at Hogwarts, I'll allow it."

"What if there is no one?"

"Then you'll marry James Potter," Rosalie said with finality, leaving no room for argument.

Taking a deep breath, Belle closed her eyes. Tomorrow was the day her life would be changing.

For the better, or for the worse? Only time could tell.

Back in Potter Manor,

A certain teen slept, images of honey eyes and golden hair flashing through his sleepy mind.

He would be forgetting this later on, however in his dream, a beautiful voice had said ,

"In this life, and the next, James Potter."